Thread: i want to start with Alfa AWUS036H and...

Just burned his ISO

Default i want to start with Alfa AWUS036H and...

i've read a lot but still not all from this forum and others. although this site is much better than others.
    i started with choosing better wifi adapter. i got linksys wusb54gsc [the one with rangemark and speedmark] and one without speedbuster [v4] but someone broke it.
    i don't have any spare hdd/partition to install backtrack3/4 so i tried virtual pc. i don't know how it should work but it looks like it works to slow, i mean while launching cause first i receive black screen for 3mins and than i can seewall paper and stuff. i thought it's my memory, so i managed virtual pc to give backtrack more ram[from 128mbs to 512mbs]. nothing.
    so i think i should install it on one of my hdds.
    then i run console and typed airmon-ng like in tutorial but there isn't such a command. i've tried different ones but i got no results.
    am i missing something/
    i tried to connect to internet with my wired eth but to do so i need to put dns servers somewhere but i can't do it in linux os.
    i'm mad at myself cause i can surely do what i want or imagine under windows but almost nothing in linux. lol to me
    after reading many tutorials and watching utube movies i chose to buy this alfa usb adapter.
    Code:
    cgi.ebay.com/500mW-Alfa-USB-Wireless-G-Adapter-w-8-dBi-ANTENNA-kit_W0QQitemZ110222189304QQihZ001QQcategoryZ45002QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
    it costs 60[/URL] and i found auctions on ebay with 8dbi antenna although have no idea what it does and should i save for the one with more dbi antenna like this one here
    Code:
    cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-500mW-USB-WiFi-14dBi-Yagi-w-Tripod-WLAN-10-ext_W0QQitemZ130195139125QQihZ003QQcategoryZ40992QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
    and here are my questions;
    can i buy any antenna/
    what difference does it make/
    i don't know if it important but i rent a room in house.

As the Db gets higher, the range is further but the focus is narrower ( you have to point the antenna more in the direction of the wifi signal )

I use to have a 7db worked good.

Quote Originally Posted by djmad View Post
    i've read a lot but still not all from this forum and others. although this site is much better than others.
    i started with choosing better wifi adapter. i got linksys wusb54gsc [the one with rangemark and speedmark] and one without speedbuster [v4] but someone broke it.
    i don't have any spare hdd/partition to install backtrack3/4 so i tried virtual pc. i don't know how it should work but it looks like it works to slow, i mean while launching cause first i receive black screen for 3mins and than i can seewall paper and stuff. i thought it's my memory, so i managed virtual pc to give backtrack more ram[from 128mbs to 512mbs]. nothing.
    so i think i should install it on one of my hdds.
    then i run console and typed airmon-ng like in tutorial but there isn't such a command. i've tried different ones but i got no results.
    am i missing something/
    i tried to connect to internet with my wired eth but to do so i need to put dns servers somewhere but i can't do it in linux os.
    i'm mad at myself cause i can surely do what i want or imagine under windows but almost nothing in linux. lol to me
    after reading many tutorials and watching utube movies i chose to buy this alfa usb adapter.
    Code:
    cgi.ebay.com/500mW-Alfa-USB-Wireless-G-Adapter-w-8-dBi-ANTENNA-kit_W0QQitemZ110222189304QQihZ001QQcategoryZ45002QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
    it costs 60[/URL] and i found auctions on ebay with 8dbi antenna although have no idea what it does and should i save for the one with more dbi antenna like this one here
    Code:
    cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-500mW-USB-WiFi-14dBi-Yagi-w-Tripod-WLAN-10-ext_W0QQitemZ130195139125QQihZ003QQcategoryZ40992QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
    and here are my questions;
    can i buy any antenna/
    what difference does it make/
    i don't know if it important but i rent a room in house.
    hi there. i use the alfa. i use a 6dbi hawking omni antenna and i have to say i find this setup to be more than enough for what i need. results with the standard antenna shipped with the device are a lot better than i expected too. keep us posted on what you decide to do

Just burned his ISO

i'll go with this alfa adapter with 8dbi antenna.
    i took 7 days off at work to read more about how to start with linux os and what are basic commands. My Allstate agent is coming today for car accident estimate and i'm waiting for big check to buy alfa.
    do you know any sites that i should see/read to know better [for newbies] of course/
    or maybe you know a btter way to start faster with backtrack.../

[by the way, i don't have shift button so i can't write some symbols...]

Just burned his ISO

Default ALFA Issues : (

I am having an issues with being able to initialize the card at boot. Did all you guys just plug in the card and get going right away?

I perform an ifconfig -a but the only card listed is the onboard Dell wireless, it works great.

I am just curious if my USB needs something to kick it off.

Thanks