Thread: Converting video files and burning to DVD

Hybrid View

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default Converting video files and burning to DVD

Under MSWindows, I use a program called "ConvertXtoDVD" in convert video files into DVD format.

It's not very often that I burn a video to DVD, so it's not too big a deal having to boot in MSWindows once in a while to do it.

Anyway, I'm looking for a Linux alternative, here's what I've got so far:
    1) Use ConvertXtoDVD under Wine
    2) Use DeVeDe

Has anyone here converted video files to DVD under Linux? I've heard that ConvertXtoDVD works fine under Wine, and from my experience using it in MSWindows, it does a great job.

I've heard that DeVeDe doesn't produce DVD files of the best quality though.

Of course I could convert a few video files and compare the quality but I'm hoping somebody else out there has already tried this out

By the way if you can suggest any other programs to use, I'm all ears.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

I use avidemux for video manipulation on Linux (converting formats, fixing AV sync issues), although I haven't used it specifically for converting to DVD

Theres a guide on the avidemux wiki for this.

Converting to DVD - Avidemux2
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

i would definatly use DeVeDe. from personal experience it is a great program. i dont know how flexible it is to create menus and stuff, but it does the trick. i can easily set it up wiht in 5 mins to convert a vid file and make the final output an iso. then k3b comes into burn the iso to a disc. very simple, esp with the gui and if not looking for something overly complicated. as far as quality goes, im pretty sure it depends on your input file, but i could be wrong. in anycase before you burn, press the adjust disc button, this changes some settings so that the final result is almost the full size of a dvd, thus your not wastign space and you are getting the best quality for the burn. also remember to change the settings from PAL to NTSC if that is the case for you. i know its set to PAL by default.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...