Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BT 4 Pre-Final: Howto grub splash fix, boot splash, gui login menu, kmenu dragon icon

Default BT 4 Pre-Final: Howto grub splash fix, boot splash, gui login menu, kmenu dragon icon

Some very simple minor fixes that you can add/improve to your BackTrack 4. This guide will work permanently on installed versions of backtrack 4! (thanks to smtx for pointing it out)

1) Howto grub splash fix:

This is a very easy fix, all you need to do is to use your favourite text editor and to edit a line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. I personally use vim so I would be doing:
    Code:
    sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
    I then search for the phrase bt4.xpm.gz:
    Code:
    /bt4.xpm.gz[enter]
    I replace the lines (yours may vary abit) from:
    Code:
    image=[uuid]/boot/grub/bt4.xpm.gz
    to:
    Code:
    splashimage=/boot/grub/bt4.xpm.gz
    and to save changes:
    Code:
    :x
    Reboot and you should have a working grub splash.

2) Howto boot splash:

Credit does not belong to me on this one but to muts who used to have it on his blog.

Code:
    sudo fix-splash
    or
    Code:
    sudo fix-splash800
    If you have a custom menu.lst setup, including the setup of grub splash method above is to comment out the last 3 lines but not the last one in fix-splash, i.e.:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

echo "[*] Fixing Initrd"
    cd /boot/
    mkdir -p tmp
    rm -rf tmp/*
    cp initrd.img-$(uname -r) tmp/initrd.gz
    cd tmp/
    echo "[*] Extracting Initrd"
    gzip -dc initrd.gz |cpio -id
    cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep lib/modules/$(uname -r)/
    cat lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep |sed "/hid-dummy/d" > lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep1
    mv lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep1 lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep
    cp /opt/bootsplash/bootsplash .
    find ./ | cpio -H newc -o > initrd
    gzip initrd
    mv initrd.gz ../initrd.img-$(uname -r)
    cd ..
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst |sed "s/splash/vga=0x317/g" > /boot/grub/menu.lst1
    mv /boot/grub/menu.lst1 /boot/grub/menu.lst
    echo "[*] Reboot and bask in the joys of BootSplash"
    into:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

echo "[*] Fixing Initrd"
    cd /boot/
    mkdir -p tmp
    rm -rf tmp/*
    cp initrd.img-$(uname -r) tmp/initrd.gz
    cd tmp/
    echo "[*] Extracting Initrd"
    gzip -dc initrd.gz |cpio -id
    cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep lib/modules/$(uname -r)/
    cat lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep |sed "/hid-dummy/d" > lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep1
    mv lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep1 lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep
    cp /opt/bootsplash/bootsplash .
    find ./ | cpio -H newc -o > initrd
    gzip initrd
    mv initrd.gz ../initrd.img-$(uname -r)
    cd ..
    # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst |sed "s/splash/vga=0x317/g" > /boot/grub/menu.lst1
    # mv /boot/grub/menu.lst1 /boot/grub/menu.lst
    echo "[*] Reboot and bask in the joys of BootSplash"
    If you still fail to see the console splash, you may want to try appending splash into /boot/grub/menu.lst, e.g. from:

Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29.4 root=UUID=[UUID] ro quiet vga=0x317
    to:
    Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29.4 root=UUID=[UUID] ro quiet splash vga=0x317
    Alternatively, you can also use something like splashy if you want for fancy console splash including animated boot up (not animated bootloader bootup but console splash for booting up process)

N.B.: vga=0x317 is vesa mode for higher console resolution, yours may vary, if you want to try it out you can try using vga=ask and hit enter when it boots to see the list of options available. Settings of the numbers vary from kernels and from video chip I think.

3) Howto GUI Login Menu:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdm-kde3
    Ignore any errors. there should only be two lines of it fyi. Reboot and you will get a plain GUI login menu for kde that has welcome message for Kubuntu but these are customisable under:
    KMenu > System > Settings > System Administration > Login Manager

4) Howto kmenu dragon icon:

I have noticed a few people asking and complaining why when one boots up the livedvd/liveusb they get the dragon image on their kmenu icon but once they installed it, it is replaced with a standard kmenu icon. The reason is simple, livesetup goes into root account and the icon resides in /root but once you installed it the stuff doesn't get copied across to your /home/$user directory however its still in /root.

So I have written a small script to handle it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sudo unzip -o /root/.kde3/share/icons/nuvoX_0.7/kmenu-dragon.zip -d /home/*/.kde3/share/icons/nuvoX_0.7/
    sudo unzip -o /root/.kde3/share/icons/nuvoX_0.7/kmenu-dragon.zip -d /etc/.skel/.kde3/share/icons/nuvoX_0.7/
    sudo unzip -o /root/.kde3/share/icons/nuvoX_0.7/kmenu-dragon-zip -d /opt/kde/share/icons/nuvoX_0.7/
    Copy and paste that into your favourite text editor.. save it as whatever you want.. for convenience sake I would have the file extension as .sh so I will know its a shell script. chmod the file as executable i.e.:
    Code:
    chmod 700 foo.sh
    and execute it:
    Code:
    ./foo.sh
    After running you may need to re-login for the changes to have an effect.

Enjoy!

Hi, thanks for great how to. Just a little thing i would like to say, hopefully i am not mistaken but some security measure in KDM do not allow login as root. So: locate kdmrc and change line: AllowRootLogin=false to AllowRootLogin=true. If you have various desktop managers you have several kdmrc files, so find the right one.

Thanks for the tut. Does anyone know how to change the screen resolution in GRUB to allow for larger/better quality images? I googled around for a bit, but didnt find any definitive answers.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MixIt View Post
    Thanks for the tut. Does anyone know how to change the screen resolution in GRUB to allow for larger/better quality images? I googled around for a bit, but didnt find any definitive answers.
    Hey thanks for the Hi-jack. Does anyone know how to use google?
    Come on I took grub screen resolution and put it into google and well I got a whole bunch of links back. So I suggest you try the same.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Alright, well thanks for jumpin on me. I did actually put some effort in. Not sure if you actually clicked on any of those links, but most of them are people bickering about whether or not the methods posted actually worked. I was wondering if anyone knew definitively how to change the resolution, because people in the forums brought up by google did not.

In case anyone is interested, this describes in detail, values to add to menu.lst to set GRUB resolutions:

hxxp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=258484&highlight=grub+resolution

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MixIt View Post
    Alright, well thanks for jumpin on me. I did actually put some effort in. Not sure if you actually clicked on any of those links,
    Why should I check the links? You have the problem, not me.
    Furthermore, the whole point was to get you started/ headed in the right direction.
    Besides that, your previous post did not prove that you did anything more than take the time to make a post.
    Me stating that "I googled a bit" is really rather moot.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default jerky boy

I should better reread the forum rules.

Well lucky you, that I am not in a banning mood today. Hope that your further posts will be better in the future if you consider to post on this forum.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Funny how I've left the thread for a bit hoping that people would be wise enough to not thread hijack, yet that thing still exists. People don't read the rules anymore? Maybe we should extend new user's "grace period" and ask them questions from the forum rules prior to giving them posting priviledges.

Thanks archangel.amael and KMDave.

Michaetito: Yes that feature is normal routine procedure with ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu and what not.. This of course has an effect on backtrack as it is now based of kubuntu.

Whilst it maybe a good idea to enable root logins into X, one will still need to set a password for the root account which is not ideal but is doable.

Why should I check the links? You have the problem, not me.
    Furthermore, the whole point was to get you started/ headed in the right direction.
    Besides that, your previous post did not prove that you did anything more than take the time to make a post.
    Me stating that "I googled a bit" is really rather moot.
    Sorry, I was just having an off day. I should have spent more time looking on google before posting that question.

Funny how I've left the thread for a bit hoping that people would be wise enough to not thread hijack, yet that thing still exists. People don't read the rules anymore? Maybe we should extend new user's "grace period" and ask them questions from the forum rules prior to giving them posting priviledges.
    Not sure if this was aimed at me at all, but if it was, I apologize. I didnt mean to hijack this thread. I thought my question was related to the topic enough to post. I think your post was aimed more at Michaetito though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast