Thread: permission denied,How come?

Just burned his ISO

Default permission denied,How come?

I've alread install BT4 on my portable hard drive,but how come when I use like "ifconfig wlan0 up", It always show permission denied,I tried "su root" and put in password but failed.
    Everything need to be rooted,but I don't have root password,neither my user's password or 'toor' works,help me!

prowl3r

You have not completed the installation. A root account should be created.

Search for the installation video tutorial at the remote-exploit blog.

And please, instead of posting 'help me', search for the information you need first. That's what we do. We are happy to help but our time is also valuable.

'Backtrack 4 installation' google search provides 6.2 million results.

Just burned his ISO

if you have sudo permissions maybe you could try 'sudo su' ...

Show us the exact command you are trying to use.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

You should have no problem with:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    If you want to switch user to root, then first set a root password:

Code:
    sudo passwd
    After you've set a password, change to root:

Code:
    su
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    You should have no problem with:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    If you want to switch user to root, then first set a root password:

Code:
    sudo passwd root
    After you've set a password, change to root:

Code:
    su
    I think you need to specify root, or else you just change your own password.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think you need to specify root, or else you just change your own password.
    I tested it out right there just to be 100% sure.

If you type "passwd" on its own without specifying a user, then it changes the password of the current user (i.e. the user the "passwd" process belongs to).

Now here's the thing: When you type "sudo passwd", "passwd" gets run as root, so it ends up changing the root password.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I tested it out right there just to be 100% sure.

If you type "passwd" on its own without specifying a user, then it changes the password of the current user (i.e. the user the "passwd" process belongs to).

Now here's the thing: When you type "sudo passwd", "passwd" gets run as root, so it ends up changing the root password.
    Ah! Gotcha. I've always just run sudo passwd root. Guess it makes sense to not need to specify root.

Here's another good one. For ages, I've had the following in my Linux Internet Connection tutorial:

Code:
    sudo echo nameserver 208.67.222.222 > /etc/resolv.conf
    I'm surprise nobody called me on the fact that it doesn't work! You get the following reply:

Code:
    bash: /etc/resolv.conf: Permission denied
    The thing is, the "echo" program gets run as root, but the piping is run as a normal user, hence it hasn't got permission to edit the file. Just now I changed the tutorial so it reads:

Code:
    sudo sh -c "echo nameserver 208.67.222.222 > /etc/resolv.conf"
    I have to say though I'm really surprised nobody ever complained about it not working... I mean that tutorial page gets about a hundred views a day so I figure someone along the way would have gotten the Permission Denied error

prowl3r

I have to say though I'm really surprised nobody ever complained about it not working... I mean that tutorial page gets about a hundred views a day so I figure someone along the way would have gotten the Permission Denied error
    Shy readers you've got