Thread: connect router to desktop and sniff all connections

Default connect router to desktop and sniff all connections

im not to shaw how to explain this but il try, iv got a ubuntu server connected to a router and i want to connect my dlink router to the ubuntu server so that clients can connect to the wireless router, in turn all traffic should run through my ubuntu server, so in a line its internet=router=ubuntuserver=dlinkrouter=client
    i hope i explained this right,
    I would rather be hated for what i am,
    Then loved for what i am not.

OK, but what is your question/issue???

im wondering if someone could help me set this up or point me in the right directing,

Is your Ubuntu server dual-homed?
    Routing is an important point here. Your Ubuntu server should have ip fowarding enabled, a default route to the internet router, and it should route the subnet which the WLAN clients will have (issued by the AP) with the ip address of the dlinkrouter as a gateway.
    Just try and ask special questions later.
    You should also consider if one of your components act as a firewall or has a firewall functionality.

With dual NIC's? Failing that you just use the server as the AP.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Albert Einstein

What purpose does the Ubuntu server in the middle serve?

Assuming the Ubuntu server has a connection to each router and is actually setup to route between the two then there's no issue. (Aside from multiple "clients" exceeding the throughput of a single port on the router).

It would be a lot easier if you used a single router and setup a span port.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    What purpose does the Ubuntu server in the middle serve?

Assuming the Ubuntu server has a connection to each router and is actually setup to route between the two then there's no issue. (Aside from multiple "clients" exceeding the throughput of a single port on the router).

It would be a lot easier if you used a single router and setup a span port.
    yeah i want to have the server in between each router, there will only be one or to client connected a one time, what im really asking is how to do this or what to search for,?

you will have to 'bridge' the two network connections on your ubuntu machine... that way all clients on one router/switch can communicate with the other router and go on the internet.

I have a similar setup. reason is, my main (wireless) router is downstairs in the office. I have a PC upstairs next to a sort of entertainment room with lots of devices. The upstairs PC connects to router downstairs via wirless, and is also connected to a switch via ethernet. This is a cheap way to connect all devices without paying for a fancy wireless extender.

just so you know, the two nics will be combined into one IP. I think there are other ways of doing it, but this was the easiest method for me as all i did was install firestarter - choose internet connection - choose local connection - enable network sharing

another way of doing it to add to /etc/network/interfaces (obviously change to suit your setup)
    Code:
    iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0 eth1
    then reboot, run terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo ifup br0
    googling "network bridge ubuntu" should yield good results