Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT4 (Pre) Final & Airodump-ng

Default BT4 (Pre) Final & airodump-ng

I am using BT4 (Pre) Final with the rtl8187 drivers with the external usb ALFA AWUS036H card.
    I ran apt-get update and apt-get install to check for updates.

Does airodump-ng work? I receive the same error as in beta when running it. (sorry don't have the error handy)

What do you mean you ran apt-get update and apt-get install? That Alfa card should work out of the box with BT4 Pre Final.

I'm sure you could have found all of this information on the forums VERY easily... But here it is...

airmon-ng start wlan#
    # is the number of the interface. If you're using the Alfa USB device and have an internal card, the Alfa will most likely be wlan1. Determine this through iwconfig.

airodump-ng mon#
    # is the number of the interface in monitor mode. Most likely mon0. The airmon-ng command will give you this information.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chmod View Post
    I am using BT4 (Pre) Final with the rtl8187 drivers with the external usb ALFA AWUS036H card.
    I ran apt-get update and apt-get install.

Does airodump-ng work yet? Am I doing something wrong?
    Yep way off base here.
    First it works out of the box.
    Second using apt is not needed.
    Third the card is usb plug it in boot up type lsusb to see if it is recognized, if so then ifconfig to find the name, as posted above it should be something along the lines of wlan0 or so.
    Then use iwconfig to configure the card to the way you need it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by w116tjb View Post
    What do you mean you ran apt-get update and apt-get install? That Alfa card should work out of the box with BT4 Pre Final.

I'm sure you could have found all of this information on the forums VERY easily... But here it is...

# is the number of the interface. If you're using the Alfa USB device and have an internal card, the Alfa will most likely be wlan1. Determine this through iwconfig.

# is the number of the interface in monitor mode. Most likely mon0. The airmon-ng command will give you this information.

First off, learn to read a post before you start your rant kid. I never said I couldn't get the CARD working. I know it's seldom seen on posts where people actually give the necessary information prior to the question, but to the experienced reader and responder this is helpfull information in answering a question. And yes, after you install BT4 new, you must run apt-get update/install. The question, as it's stated, is regarding airodump-ng.

First off, learn to read a post before you start your rant kid. I never said I couldn't get the CARD working. I know it's seldom seen on posts where people actually give the necessary information prior to the question, but to the experienced reader and responder this is helpfull information in answering a question. And yes, after you install BT4 new, you must run apt-get update/install. The question, as it's stated, is regarding airodump-ng.
    No you do not need to run apt-get update/install once you install bt4.
    The purpose of doing update is to retrieve info on any new packages that may have been created and install of course to install them. That in and of itself is not mandatory as you make it. It might help, it make make a huge difference in some things but again don't start telling people what they have to do when it will function otherwise.
    Second the way you formatted your first question makes it appear as though you have done just the opposite of what you are referring to above.
    Third as was stated before you card works just fine out of the box with the aircrack-ng suit. Try doing it manually, I tried it this morning and it worked just fine.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Third as was stated before you card works just fine out of the box with the aircrack-ng suit. Try doing it manually, I tried it this morning and it worked just fine.
    There you go assuming things again. If you don't have anything constructive to add to my post, leave. I asked for advise, not flame.

The card works yes, but that does not mean airodump-ng or injection works. One can not assume all works for everyone simply cause it works for one.

There you go assuming things again. If you don't have anything constructive to add to my post, leave. I asked for advise, not flame.

The card works yes, but that does not mean airodump-ng or injection works. One can not assume all works for everyone simply cause it works for one.
    There you go again.
    I tell you what let the evidence speak for itself.
    lsusb output
    airodump using the ALFA in question.
    I have two of them. An older styled one and a new one. The both work just fine out of the box.
    Furthermore I see that you have edited out the rest of the name calling in your post. That is nice since we all appreciate that.
    As for the kid part that was there. Yeah I saw it. But let me help you, old man might be more appropriate I am 31 years old. So let's get our fact right before we call names it only makes you look like the kid.
    If you want serious help then make a serious attempt to post the relevant information. That will help more than the rest of your personal beliefs and or philosophies.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

The card works fine out of the box, including airodump-ng and injection. I own that Alfa card.

What commands are you typing? It might be command line issues.

Well just to confirm that my Alfa also works out-of-the-box in BT4PF as everyone else's, "injection and airodump-ng" included (maybe the crowd effect will persuade you). You just have to learn to use it. Which you would already have done if you took the energy and searched.
    Now since you were so quick to dismiss and insult archangel.amael (who was trying to put you on the right path) I suggest you rethink your approach to the forum community if you plan to stay.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    The card works fine out of the box, including airodump-ng and injection. I own that Alfa card.

What commands are you typing? It might be command line issues.

From a fresh plug-in of the device;
    macchanger -r wlan1
    ifconfig wlan1 up
    airomon-ng start wlan1
    airodump-ng wlan1 <-- after this I get the error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast