Thread: 64bit

Default 64bit

Odd query here, but i was wondering if there was a way to set up BT to run in 64bit? I get the incredible sense that the answer is yes, with a recompiled kernel, and then i'd have to recompile all the software on it as well.... is it possible with some "compatibility switch" to still 32bit apps, or am i smoking crack?

Reason being is that i run VMs on BT in vbox, and i have 4gb of memory in my laptop, which would be rather useful for running server test VMs.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post
    Odd query here, but i was wondering if there was a way to set up BT to run in 64bit? I get the incredible sense that the answer is yes, with a recompiled kernel, and then i'd have to recompile all the software on it as well.... is it possible with some "compatibility switch" to still 32bit apps, or am i smoking crack?

Reason being is that i run VMs on BT in vbox, and i have 4gb of memory in my laptop, which would be rather useful for running server test VMs.
    Recompiling the kernel might get you 64 bit out of the kernel but most of the applications are not going to take advantage of it.

Aso for the vm portion above please rephrase it. Maybe shed some more light on what you are trying to do.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

In terms of VMs i run virtual box to run winXP and other testing OS's on BT4 - lab testing machines pretty much for all sorts of stuff (i'm a sys engineer, occasionally helps to test in a semi-sterile environment on the go). MS OS' are memory hogs, so having 4GB installed and only being able to address 3 of them is a bit of a crutch.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

In terms of VMs i run virtual box to run winXP and other testing OS's on BT4 - lab testing machines pretty much for all sorts of stuff (i'm a sys engineer, occasionally helps to test in a semi-sterile environment on the go). MS OS' are memory hogs, so having 4GB installed and only being able to address 3 of them is a bit of a crutch.
    There is another thread in the last few days about large memory amounts not showing up. have a look at it, to see if it helps the problem. The thread title eludes me at the moment, though.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Recompiling the kernel might get you 64 bit.
    how on bt4pf ?
    on /usr/src/linux "make ARCH=x86_64" is not the solution for me
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Just burned his ISO

You dont necessarily need to have a 64bit to get advantage of the 4gb memory. Recompile the kernel and make sure it is PAE enabled by enabling High Memory Support (64GB) in the menuconfig.

Never tried this with backtrack mind. Did this couple of times in the past with ubuntu distros....

Just burned his ISO

Default Is there a guide to a pure x64 install?

Is there a guide to a pure x64 install? I would like to use BT4 P.R.

And before someone starts yelling at me to do some searches, I looked for this post for almost a half hour before I found it. I searched for 64 (space) bit, nothing, then x64, nothing, just 64, and still nothing.

P.S. Sorry about the double post hit enter by mistake and my post when up for review so I couldn't edit it until that was done.