Thread: How can I install BT4 on a portable hard drive?

Just burned his ISO

Default How can I install BT4 on a portable hard drive?

My hard disk is too small and I have a 40G portable hard drive so I want to install BT4 on it?

How can I do it?
    Can it be finished by using install.sh?

Regards

Can it be finished by using install.sh?
    What about trying and reporting back to the community? That said, I'd vote YES - I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Just use the ubiquity installer (install.sh) BUT BE CAREFUL with the install location of the GRUB bootloader. By default it gets installed to the MBR of your primary internal hdd. You should be able to select the MBR of the external drive here instead (afaik in step7 - advanced options)

If you can (say, it's a desktop PC), to be really really safe, unplug your primary hard drive before doing anything.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    What about trying and reporting back to the community? That said, I'd vote YES - I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Just use the ubiquity installer (install.sh) BUT BE CAREFUL with the install location of the GRUB bootloader. By default it gets installed to the MBR of your primary internal hdd. You should be able to select the MBR of the external drive here instead (afaik in step7 - advanced options)
    Thank you for replying, because install Windows xp on portable hard drive is difficult, I just wondering whether bt4 will work or not

prowl3r

Yes, it works. I did it. Also I used ubiquity to do a full install in a 8 gig sdhc. Just be careful and follow or4n9e warning about grub.

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    Think of it as a new massive USB device, (it is after all), you do not need to put the GRUB to boot it at all, just plug it in while the PC starts and go to your BIOS settings and select the primary boot device (remember to plug the hdd external before going to the BIOS settings, better yet, plug it before you turn on the PC), as the external HDD or the option that suits you best, you may use the grub to actually choose from OSs, but it must be install on the external HDD.
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB