Thread: airmon-ng finds NO wireless cards

Just burned his ISO

Question airmon-ng finds NO wireless cards

Hello all,
    I've actually been successfully been using Backtrack 2 for awhile now, but, all of a sudden, nothing on that or BT3 (about to try BT4 on another box) works for me any more.

I was testing with a Toshiba Satellite 1805. I had a Linksys version 1 wusb54gc usb wireless card. It worked great for about a year on this laptop with BT2. Recently, I started messing with it again, no changes that I know of (this is an older used laptop I was given)...for awhile, laptop seemed a little flaky, but, would come up. Then, when running aireplay-ng, power levels would only show up as -1.
    Now...the laptop does not find the card at all. airmon-ng show NO devices.

I thought the card might be bad, so returned it, and got a new one..this time, is a version 3 of the same wusb54gc.
    This card is also not found....light does not light on the wirless usb. I thought maybe it would help to 'start' it with windows...I put the new linksys in a XP box, ran the linksys wizard..it found the usb card...lights it up, and it was looking good.
    Still, the toshiba doesn't see it.

So, thinking it might BE the laptop.

I burned a BT3 cd, and booted a desktop dell dimension 8200 up with the live cd. It comes up...and IT will not see the linksys card at all either when I do airmon-ng. Nothing...nada...zilch.

Now, when I do lsusb on the laptop and the desktop, they both show the linksys in the usb slot.

I got ahold of a couple of other usb wirless devices to see if I could get BT to see ANYTHING.

I put in a dlink dwl-122, and a motorola wu830g...just to see if they would be recognized at all.
    They aren't seen either.

I'm just puzzled what might have happened...what to try next. I know the linksys before , the version 1 when I had it...was found automatically...it was listed under rausb0. It worked..injections and everything.

Now..I can't get a version of BT to recognize or see ANY usb wireless on either of 2 boxes I'm trying...new cards, old cards, anything.

I can't believe they are all bad...so, is it some stupid user error....something I'm forgetting?

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciate.

cayenne

Does iwpriv find anything?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69