Thread: Truncate boot password failure

Default Truncate boot password failure

I no longer have access to my root user account. The situation is as follows:

I have created a new user account with the 'adduser' command and followed the steps leaving everything on default. When booted the new account, I couldn't start KDE. But that was helped with the 'chmod +s /usr/bin/X11/Xorg' command.

Then, I booted root again to change the standard root password (toor). I went to the 'Security & Privacy > Password & User Account' menu. Once there, I changed the root password. Then I got a message saying that my password is longer that 8 chars and 'this can cause problems on some systems'. Why would this cause any problems?

I chose to 'leave as it is'. But then the system froze. So I terminated the password change menu. Later when I rebooted the system to try my new root password, it didn't work.

The old standard root password also does not work. So now I'm stuck with only one user account which I created and no root account.

Is there a solution to this problem besides re-installing the OS? I would appreciate any suggestions.

I'd boot a LiveCD of your choice and mount your installed BT system into its filesystem. Then I'd restore /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd (of the installed system) from /etc/shadow- and /etc/passwd- respectively. This should reset the situation to defaults.

HTH

Default blank password..

I've tried to log in without password and it worked.. It seems that a blank password was automatically set during the system freeze? I'm glad that this is solved, for now.

orange, I will note your suggestion to restore in case anything goes wrong again.

But I still wish to change (now: create) a password for the root account, longer than 8 chars. So I am curious to why did the system freeze in the first place. Surely not because the password was too long?

EDIT:

I have solved the problem.
    When logged in and using KDE, the password does not change and the change password menu freezes (KDE preventing me to change password?). But when logged in as root, before giving the 'startx' command, I gave the 'passwd' command and successfully changed/created the new password.