Thread: Question about netbooks

Default Question about netbooks

Hey everybody, I tried to get backtrack running with Ubuntu and Vista, and after all the trouble getting it to work, I decided it really wasn't worth it, lol. Anyway, I want to get a netbook to run Backtrack on. I am looking at the Acer Aspire 751h and the Lenovo Ideabook s12. I picked those two because of the larger screens and the have the better ratings from what I have seen. Though I am leaning more towards the Lenovo. I do not want to get a Asus becuase I just really don't like the way they look and the 1000h series has an integrated battery, so I could never get a larger one or if it went bad I couldn't get a new one. Also, I was thinking a netbook would be a good idea to run backtrack on because of the portability. The thing I am wondering though is can those systems handle what backtrack is meant to do. I am talking from a system pen-testing perspective. Say I wanted to try a penetration test on my network running it on a netbook, would the netbook just crash or could it actually be possible. I just don't know what kind of computing power is really needed to do that kind of stuff. Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

hi there, im am very new to using backtrack and i dedicated a laptop to it so i could learn without having to use live cd's, my laptop has a 20gb hdd and 256mb ram, (its an old one lol) and it works fine,
    bare in mind that an asus eeepc is very lightweight in memory and it still does a good job i should see you having no trouble.
    to be more sure google the model and put backtrack at the end of the search string and see how other people are getting on with the same setup

hope it helps and i hope you sort it out

prowl3r

Well, a netbook is not only very capable but a fantastic tool for pentesting on the move. Asus eee 701 seemed to be designed for it. I use a 901 and it runs just fine.

Ensure you get a good battery life and buy a high gain usb wireless.

There are certain tasks which are just too much for these babies (for example, wpa decoding, a loaded rogue AP) obvioulsy, but that's not the purpose.

The Apollo XI guidance computer was a snail-like 1.024 MHz piece of shit. In many ways, the AGC was half the IBM PC XT. However it took us to the moon.

There's a also a member here who managed to get most bt tools running in an openmoko phone.

You get the picture. So, i should say go for it.

Sweet, thanks . I think I am going to go with a Lenovo s12, I am waiting for the nvidia version to come out later this month. When I found that out, it kind of made up my mind. I am hoping that they add in bluetooth too, then it really would be perfect.

Hi, I used a 701 then 4211 then 2920 and 2133, back to 2930z now. Off them all the 2133 was the nicest to use and the screen and keyboard made it easy to spend time on comfortably pen testing. Going for £179 so reasonably priced. Just my opinion of course ').