Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, what linux operating system do i install?

Just burned his ISO

Default Help, what linux operating system do i install?

I am using a mac osx 10.5.7
    I am using Parallels.
    I have a big enough cd to burn backtrack 3 onto, which i will do as soon as i find out what linux operating system to use. Right now i am just using an iso file to boot off of.
    I need to know what linux operating system to use, the list of choices are:

1. Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    2. Red Hat Enterprise Server 3
    3. SUSE Linux Enterprise
    4. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
    5. Debian GNU/Linux
    6. Red Hat Linux
    7. Fedora Linux
    8. CentOS Linux
    9. OpenSUSE Linux
    10. Mandriva Linux
    11. Xandos Linux
    12. Ubuntu Linux(Pre Selected)
    13. Other Linux Kernel 2.4
    14. Other Linux Kernel 2.6
    15. Other Linux

I don't have a linux install disk, the Parallels Program has them pre-installed
    I tried using Ubuntu Linux but it freezes at the backtrack loading screen.
    Floppy Drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M is the last thing that comes up on the screen is there away that i c an post a pic of it?
    Thanks in advance Shane.

PS. I would prefer to use backtrack 4 cause i am using a RT73 Device for injection, but i don't know if the Beta-release has the drivers already installed or if the pre release does?

BackTrack is its own operating system. Or are you asking what system to dual boot it with?

edit: Bad play of words on my part, BackTrack is it's own Linux operating system. Nothing else is required. I thought you wanted to install a second OS along side.

There are tutorials how to install from the live CD onto your hard drive, just search on the forums

Just burned his ISO

yes what linux system shold boot it with cause it requires one to install bootcamp 3

Developer

Backtrack is a Linux operating system

I assume you want to know which version of Linux you should configure Parallels to use for the BackTrack VM. AS you may have been able to gather from the responses you have got so far, this wasn't very clear.

Try in this order:
    1. Other Linux Kernel 2.6
    2. Debian GNU/Linux
    3. Other Linux
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

well that didnt work either, listen i know i can boot it and it worked, i did it off a friends cd but i lost contact with him. so i know i can run it. the problem is i dont really know what iso file to grab? i got a RT73 injection device, do i take backtrack4, or backtrack3, and what version type

again i am using parallels on a Mac OSX 10.5.7
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by shaneacc View Post
    well that didnt work either, listen i know i can boot it and it worked, i did it off a friends cd but i lost contact with him. so i know i can run it. the problem is i dont really know what iso file to grab? i got a RT73 injection device, do i take backtrack4, or backtrack3, and what version type

again i am using parallels on a Mac OSX 10.5.7
    Thanks Shane
    A simple Google search tells me that people have been able to run both BackTrack 3 and 4 Beta in Parallels, and I wouldnt be surprised if 4 Prefinal works too. If it doesn't work for you maybe you have a bad ISO image file. Did you check the hash for your downloaded image?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Lupin is on the right track

i got the full iso to download from remote-exploit.0rg/backtrack_download.htmI, i donwload both the bt3-final.iso and that bt3final_usb.iso, both hang/freeze after floppy(s) 1.44 thing, is there a video to help me get through this or am i at the wrong site for the iso, i was trying to install bt3 but i dont know if i should try bt4? remember i am using a rt73, the less installing for this driver the easier i can be in the forums, thanks for the help so far.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by shaneacc View Post
    Lupin is on the right track

i got the full iso to download from remote-exploit.0rg/backtrack_download.htmI, i donwload both the bt3-final.iso and that bt3final_usb.iso, both hang/freeze after floppy(s) 1.44 thing, is there a video to help me get through this or am i at the wrong site for the iso, i was trying to install bt3 but i dont know if i should try bt4? remember i am using a rt73, the less installing for this driver the easier i can be in the forums, thanks for the help so far.
    Thanks Shane
    Thats the right download location. You checked the MD5 hash of your downloaded image file and matched it against the one listed on the download page didn't you? Always do this if you're having problems with downloaded images...

Try BT 4 prefinal.

Newer BT version = newer kernel = better driver support and less problems (usually)

Just burned his ISO

just got done downloading the bt4 pre final iso, am about to try to boot it but how do you check this MD5: b0485da6194d75b30cda282ceb629654 code, thats from the website, how do i check it to my iso?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast