Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0 works right out of box

Default Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0 works right out of box

although new to linux and backtrack i have come across some issues with compatible cards and there are a few. I have had my fair share of headaches in that dept until i came across the Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0 this little gem comes right out of the box working all it takes is this:
    remove edimax usb device
    open a new shell and type: modprobe rt73
    reinsert usb and type: ifconfig rausb0 up
    then type: iwpriv rausb0 forceprism 1
    then type: iwpriv rausb0 rfmontx 1
    then type: iwconfig rausb0 mode monitor
    and voilla there is really nothing else to do the card works flawlessly after that
    just using rausb0 in your commands where your device requires it . the device is cheap and cheerful but gets the job done without a hitch possibly the best card ive bought very satisfied...!

QuietStorm

Yeah kiddo, i own one myself, really nice usb dongle. I might get better antenna for it. Damn i haven't load bt3 for a month or so.... :|

Yeah kiddo, i own one myself, really nice usb dongle. I might get better antenna for it
    Same here i bought one of those yagis cos they had good reviews for distance but was dissapointed with mine i ordered from ebay as the small omni that comes with these edimax cards got the same amount of access points detected as the yagi and sometimes more which i thought was odd considering these are spposed to have much higher gain and distance than omnis if you come across any that you find useful on this card will you post ? and i will do same. cheers

Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0 works right out of box
    one thing I forgot to mention with this card is that if you start kismet in bt before you configure it in a shell it will load the old railink drivers by default and the rt73 drivers are overwritten by the old drivers so dont forget to open a blank shell and configure before you open kismet just my experience with this device

Quote Originally Posted by fido13uk View Post
    Same here i bought one of those yagis cos they had good reviews for distance but was dissapointed with mine i ordered from ebay as the small omni that comes with these edimax cards got the same amount of access points detected as the yagi and sometimes more which i thought was odd considering these are spposed to have much higher gain and distance than omnis if you come across any that you find useful on this card will you post ? and i will do same. cheers
    I got my 7318usg card and yagi from ebay too. I found the gain compared to the built in antennas in my Acer laptop was +15db and quite directional. Rotating the polarization 90 degrees will add or subtract 3db. I took mine out this morning for a short 15 minute drive and picked up 500 access points.

The problem I had was with the small SMA connector. It wears quickly if not tight. That means a loose connection.

I took this yagi apart to see how they made it. Its stamped aluminum and very similar to other other yagis I have. Very easy to make if you get the measurements exact.

I dont like these yagis much they not as good as wht they are cracked up to be and i would rather go for a parabolic antenna in the future

can you please explain how and if you have managed to get this to connect to internet using WPA2 encryption on access point?

thanks.

I have this exact Edimax, I also have a 19dBi Yagi Directional antenna and a few other antenna's that came with my cards. I love the Edimax, the only downfall is that its 300mW; the strength is...crap. Dont get me wrong as I said I love my Edimax until I try to connect to a WPA2 AP that is exactly 35 feet away. I set my friends internet up today and we decided to have a bit of gaming [Age of Mythology]. So he was in his house and I was in mine, I live 35feet away from him. My Yagi 19dBi on windows gets 1-bar signal strength [Xconfiguration]...whereas on Back|Track I get 98-101 power readings.

When I try to connect to my friends WPA2 with Windows, it fails. When I connect to it with Back|Track I get a laggy/jumpy connection with full speed. I need to use Windows for the LAN Gaming...the Edimax failed me.

So...Edimax cards are good but with the 300mW limit its kind of annoying. I would personally reccomend the Alfa. By the way I didnt have to 'modprobe' anything at all for my Edimax...I just plugged it in

Oh and listen to dattaway about the sma connection being loose as this happens a lot on my Edimax/YAGI combo. YAGI's are not all they are meant to be, Im on the look-out for a nice rope antenna

Default edimax usb

There are some interesting replies about the edimax here one thing I would like to know is that whenever I connect an external antenna to this device it doesnt if hardly pick up any access points for example the 19dbi yagi hardlys picked anything up, and now recently I have just bought myself a 24dbi grid parabolic which I connected my edimax to and I get the same results hardlys any access points does anyone know what the problem could be here as I would have thought that with my grid I should have picked up dozens considering I live in a pretty built up urban area. The small omni that comes with the device picks up quite a few AP,s its very confusing to me any help appreciated.
    PS: I have checked the obvious like loose connector and cables they all seemed fine.

Directional Antenna's pointing in the wrong direction?

If it's the only thing you are changing, then something is worng/misconfigured with it.

Try changing the polarisation (swing it through 90 degrees on the vertical).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast