Thread: New to the board

Default New to the board

Hi I've just arrived on the board.

About me:

-I like to pass my time in:
    * PHP / MySQL programming
    * Setting up hardware stuff

-I'm also playing online games and especially Team Fortress 2.

-I have a dualboot xp / linux (ubuntu : gnome desktop)

-Hardware: dell vostro 1700, core duo centrino 2.22 Ghz, ge force 8M, Intel Pro Wireless, Broadcom Ethernet.

I want to be a sysadmin.

And I'm looking to network hacking and more particularly on wifi and packet sniffing.

My questions: can we sniff a network other than its local network? I thought it might be considered a foreign network as a local network or I heard it also had to type attacks man in the middle or arp, but then I see it too.

And finally, if my wifi card and ethernet are perfectly compatible with backtrack under kde? I can log in GUI but not command line, such as aircrack-ng on ubuntu does not do anything. : confused:

Have a good day !

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by azertynux View Post
    My questions: can we sniff a network other than its local network? I thought it might be considered a foreign network as a local network or I heard it also had to type attacks man in the middle or arp, but then I see it too.
    You need sufficient access to a device thats connected locally to a network to sniff that network.

And finally, if my wifi card and ethernet are perfectly compatible with backtrack under kde? I can log in GUI but not command line, such as aircrack-ng on ubuntu does not do anything.
    Huh?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

And finally, if my wifi card and ethernet are perfectly compatible with backtrack under kde? I can log in GUI but not command line, such as aircrack-ng on ubuntu does not do anything. : confused:
    Hello and welcome to the forums.
    Take a look at the stickies in the newbie section for a more pleasant stay.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.