Thread: running root permissions? <admin edit>

Just burned his ISO

Arrow running root permissions? <admin edit>

ok so a series of commands do not work unless I am using root permission.

ifup eth0 #will not work unless i log in as root.

As i understand root is by default locked and has no password as a security precaution. Therefore users must use commands that borrows permission. (correct me if Im wrong.)
    I understand that I am operating linux incorrectly by utilizing the,

sudo -i password ***

command. But what is the correct way to not leave my system open and operate not in root/set up my permissions correctly so that i may run commands as ie.. t0ny@t0ny-desktop:~$1

ps I am running vmware bt4 installed to /sda (dont ask me why, vm ware says it SCSI but no space was found at sdx or hda...and does not remember to dhcp or enable tcp listen-recieve so i have to run ifup eth0 every single boot!!!!

*any noob guides/linux learning emulator would be nice.. as long as its free...

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down ?

ok further digging, i found i guess we can't post code, into the forum or direct references to commands.. I guess in my excitment, I have overlooked the rules of the forum. No foul play intended, I guess thats why i am being penalized?

Good friend of the forums

I think "chown user", and "chmod 777" you will need to sudo to change ifconfig to a user account.

This might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshihiko View Post
    ok so a series of commands do not work unless I am using root permission.

ifup eth0 #will not work unless i log in as root.

As i understand root is by default locked and has no password as a security precaution. Therefore users must use commands that borrows permission. (correct me if Im wrong.)
    I understand that I am operating linux incorrectly by utilizing the,

sudo -i password ***

command. But what is the correct way to not leave my system open and operate not in root/set up my permissions correctly so that i may run commands as ie.. t0ny@t0ny-desktop:~$1

ps I am running vmware bt4 installed to /sda (dont ask me why, vm ware says it SCSI but no space was found at sdx or hda...and does not remember to dhcp or enable tcp listen-recieve so i have to run ifup eth0 every single boot!!!!

*any noob guides/linux learning emulator would be nice.. as long as its free...
    The correct way to do this is to run as a normal user and then escalate your privileges using sudo or su when you need to run a privileged command.

Try using a user friendly Linux distro like Ubuntu for a while before using BackTrack, so you can get used to the way to run a Linux system. BackTrack is for advanced users, you should already know the basics before using it.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Easiest way is to run these commands,

Code:
    sudo passwd root
    toor
    toor
    Then log out of your user account and log back in as root. BackTrack shouldn't be used as an every day linux distro unless you know what the hell you're doing.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Toshihiko View Post
    ok further digging, i found i guess we can't post code, into the forum or direct references to commands.. I guess in my excitment, I have overlooked the rules of the forum. No foul play intended, I guess thats why i am being penalized?
    No, you were penalized because you had a curse word in the title of your post which I clearly said in my message to you.

Just burned his ISO

Cool thanks!

thanks guys.. i will make sure to not abuse the thread anymore and leave my noob questions out unless absolutly necessary.. For now I will resume my pestering to the IRC chat rooms..

cheers!