Thread: Atheros Chipset. Still The Best Bet?

Just burned his ISO

Default Atheros Chipset. Still The Best Bet?

I knew to just look for something atheros in the past when looking for a wifi card that would work easy on linux and do injection, monitor mode, etc (partially thanks to forums.remote-exploit.org/tutorials-guides/2191-card-shall-i-buy-million-dollar-question.html). But is this still true? Most of the posts and stuff on the net that say so are from days of 802.11b/g and I'm looking for something that can work with n.

So apparently madwifi doesn't support 802.11n (or at least the dlink DWA-547 doesn't madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility/D-Link that was what I was looking for.)
    Glancing at a google search for madwifi+802.11n it seems to be in the works but not done.

But there's those ath9k drivers that atheros made by hiring the guys who work on madwifi.
    linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
    The page in that url above says that it doesn't even support monitor mode, or at least it lists modes, of which monitor mode is not one.
    Dose anyone know what it's like for injection.

Finding an appropriate wifi card is a really frustrating journey, most info is out of date or incomplete, especially if you need something with 802.11n.

PS: a second quick question: that alfa USB thing like the AWUS036H. People keep suggesting that, but I think it looks like it would be a bit awkward with my laptop since it's a little box on a USB cable and not like the nice neat little USB dongle I have. Also I see Alfa has a nice neat little USB dongle too(AWUS046N), is that just as advisable as things like the AWUS036H?
    Also can it do fast channel hopping? Can anything cheep (say less than $100) do that really fast channel hopping thing? It's just something I've heard of and sounds cool, I don't need it.

Just burned his ISO

Be aware that as far as I know, there is no way to do mac address spoofing with the ath9k driver. I have an HP Pavilion that uses it, and have found no way to do it, and my web searches reveal no success. I can't do it even using the Windoze diver and ndiswrapper.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    Be aware that as far as I know, there is no way to do mac address spoofing with the ath9k driver. I have an HP Pavilion that uses it, and have found no way to do it, and my web searches reveal no success. I can't do it even using the Windoze diver and ndiswrapper.
    Ok thanks.

I recently went for a alfa AWUS050NH 30 something pounds (UK). It's pretty awesome and supports mac changing. It has a ralink chipset.

imported_-$p!c3-

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    Ever visted The Madwifi Projects website? Probably not. Please update yourself and learn about their newest ath5k driver, buddy.

-$p!c3-

Thumbs up

This works great for me on backtrack 2-4
    ENGENIUS TECHNOLOGIES EPI-3601S 600mw (advertised)
    Atheros chipset
    ath5k driver in backtrack 4

It hops channels, works in kismet, injects,
    I don't think TOO many cards will beat this
    it just works.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by -$p!c3- View Post
    Ever vistedThe Madwifi Projects website? Probably not. Please update yourself and learn about their newest ath5k driver, buddy.

-$p!c3-

Thanks for that useful and courteous comment. It turns out that there is a new standard for wireless called 802.11n. The atheros chipsets that are compatible with that new standard, such as the AR9xxx series, are compatible with the ath9k driver but not the ath5k, while the older series of a/b/g compatible chipsets are compatible with the ath5k drivers. Hence ath*5*k vs ath*9*k.