Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Start Networking in Backtrack

Default Re: How to Start Networking in Backtrack

Hi all,
    Im getting well frustrated with my bt4 vm at the mo, i have the alpha 1000mw usb card and it works fine for wifi pentest but when i want to directly connect to an ap for ssl sniffing it wont give me an ip address and all i get is the eth0 wired network is connected.

now i have tried /etc/init.d/wicd start and then dhclient it has worked before and its doing my head in.

tried ifup wlan0 and still no dhcp offers whats the score peeps. head it working with pure h@tes vmware tut on wireless defense site im actually getting to grips with bt4 now and such a simple problem is such a pain.

"he who laughs last..... thinks slowest"

cheers

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Open a Konsole.
    Type
    Code:
    start-network
    If using a WNIC, stop it using airmon-ng .
    Code:
    airmon-ng stop (dev)
    then bring it down with ifconfig
    Code:
    ifconfig (dev) down
    Where (dev) is your Device name ie wlan0

Now hit K Menu, highlight internet then choose Wicd Network Manager, up the top of the gui choose preferences, then in the wireless interface box type in the interface you want to use (ie wlan0) then hit ok.
    If networks do not appear, hit refresh (you may need to hit refresh a few times), once the network you want to connect to appears, click connect. If the network you are connecting to uses encryption proceed to steps below.

Expand the options for the network your trying to access by hitting the little triangle next to the ESSID.
    Now choose advanced settings and proceed to change encryption type to that required, fill in the key box with your key and hit ok.
    Hit connect and viola, now pat yourself on the back for accomplishing some advanced networking, then watch pr0n.
    Last edited by killadaninja; 08-05-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

The first commands wouldn't start anything for me, I did some searching and found this instead :

Code:
    cd /etc/init.d
    bash networking start
    Which does the job properly.

Just burned his ISO

hi guys , i'm new to bt4 and i have this problem i can't connect to my router ..
    i have a ranlik usb rt2573 that uses rt73 drivers . i have installed it to the hard disc so when i boot up
    i type cd /etc/init.d and then wicd start. There i can see all the networks in my neibourhood.
    i go to advance settings at my router and put the wpa1/2 - psk after that i go to preferences and at wpa supplicant i put ranlink legacy then i hit connect and it stucks at obtaining ip adress!!
    i checked the syslog and it says dhcp on wlan0 255.255.255.255 interval 07 something like that
    i don't know what to do pls help me if you can i would apreeciate that

Just burned his ISO

I'm using BT4 inside the VMware as Guest OS.After installing the VMware tools I started the network services during the bootup by writing a bash script .In this case i saved the file as ntst.sh.The command inside the file will be as

!bin/bash
    sudo /usr/bin/start-network

and placed it in the rc.d and ran the following as

update-rc.d -f netst.sh start 99 2 3 4 5,if it asks for the password enter it.and then after the next restart ypou will find a LAN connection status will be displayed in the tray bar as like in the windows OS.

Just burned his ISO

Pure, I'm sorry if I sound stupid but isnt it simply easier to create the inittab and changeing defualt runlevel to 3 ?

Just burned his ISO

First ..THANKS PUREHATE! I was able to network with all the info in the post#1 period got Google with a hawkings mimo router easy. Use the ssh stuff lol I haven';t the slightest clue but ,when you use the ssh command purehate speaks of you will be able to use a router. If a begining newbie like me can make bt work then ...? read post#! in this thread

Just burned his ISO smashedpumpkins's Avatar

Gonna play around with this, thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Hi there, downloaded BT 4 today, wired connection to my router connected to the internet using BT on VMware fine, then it stoped working so I did a re instal of it and now when I try to use the internet it doesnt work enterd the commands into konsole exactly the same as last time first time I was using starting with
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    update-rc.d networking defaults
    sshd-generate
    /etc/init.d/ssh start
    in that order (it worked for the first few times)
    connections modes I've tryed NAT and Bridged but that didnt work either, any help?

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Tnx I solved it. I just had to modify /etc/network/interfaces
    Dear sickness:

Please specify how you edited the file.
    My Internet has been down for 3 days and I need to know exactly what you put in.
    Thanks.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast