Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Start Networking in Backtrack

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: How to Start Networking in Backtrack

Hi my Backtrack 4 wireless connection problem .

iwconfig wlan0 essid (networkname) key (psw)

but this problem

Error for wireless request set encode (8B2A)

invalid argument (psw)

whats problem

Help me

HAPPY I lovethis site & backtrack
    http://www.offensive-security.com/vi...backtrack.html
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate
    Last edited by CoderTurK; 02-18-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks pureh@te, this bit of information helped quite a bit.

Just burned his ISO

Hi All,

I am new here and wanted to say hi due to my first problems with backtrack 4 final

I have read the howto but I still having problems with resolving domainnames. Connecting via ipadresses work fine.

- Backtrack runs in an vmware configured to bridged networking.
    - Edited my interfaces

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    - I configured bt to get ip via dhcp from my gateway router --> Got ip within internal iprange
    - I set an default route to the gateway--> work fine

Code:
     0.0.0.0   192.168.0.1  0.0.0.0  UG   100  0  0  eth0
    - I set my router as nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf -->

Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    after /etc/init.d/networking start
    the content of resolv.conf changes from nameserver 192.168.0.1 (my router) to 2 nameservers of my isp.--> seems alright

-I can ping my router
    -I can ping ip's from the internet

- I can't ping Google etc
    - I can't browse urls

Has anybody an idea whats going wrong?

Much appreciated guide, I was having trouble with the wireless and I'm glad I found this.

Just burned his ISO SeekNDestroy's Avatar

I have two computers,a desktop and a notebook(IBM),both of them are conected to internet on a Broadband conection (PPPoE) through a router (EDIMAX).When I plug my Broadband cable in my desktop Ethernet card and after i configured the PPPoE connection in BackTrack 4 works great,but is only on my desktop...

When both of the computers are conected through my router(EDIMAX),on my IBM notebook there is Internet on Windows XP SP3,but on my desktop on BackTrack 4 there is no connection available...

My question is : how can be both of my computers connected directly to Internet through my Edimax router?
    Sorry for my bad english.I'll wait for some tips,answers...Thank You!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by reath View Post
    Hi All,

I am new here and wanted to say hi due to my first problems with backtrack 4 final

I have read the howto but I still having problems with resolving domainnames. Connecting via ipadresses work fine.

- Backtrack runs in an vmware configured to bridged networking.
    - Edited my interfaces

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    - I configured bt to get ip via dhcp from my gateway router --> Got ip within internal iprange
    - I set an default route to the gateway--> work fine

Code:
     0.0.0.0   192.168.0.1  0.0.0.0  UG   100  0  0  eth0
    - I set my router as nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf -->

Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    after /etc/init.d/networking start
    the content of resolv.conf changes from nameserver 192.168.0.1 (my router) to 2 nameservers of my isp.--> seems alright

-I can ping my router
    -I can ping ip's from the internet

- I can't ping Google etc
    - I can't browse urls

Has anybody an idea whats going wrong?
    if the same problem. sitting there for hours now

i can ping all computers in the local lan and my router and internet ip´s but no dns names like Google

Just burned his ISO

so, now i tried to boot backtrack live system - now the dhcp function works well!

the vmware image dont work for me. you can try dhcp or manually set the ip settings - it dont work!
    i can ping all network devices in local lan,the router an internet ips....but the dns will not work.
    if tried backtrack 3 and 4 vmware images. windows xp vmware works without problems. all tested with briged and nat network settings
    Last edited by CoNtAcT2000; 02-21-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by CoNtAcT2000 View Post
    so, now i tried to boot backtrack live system - now the dhcp function works well!

the vmware image dont work for me. you can try dhcp or manually set the ip settings - it dont work!
    i can ping all network devices in local lan,the router an internet ips....but the dns will not work.
    if tried backtrack 3 and 4 vmware images. windows xp vmware works without problems. all tested with briged and nat network settings
    It's a pity. I wanted to have the andvantage to check the vmware host for testing purposes.
    Is this a major problem? Or is the vmware image not in use that often so that this information is new? Does it make sense to make an effort to create my own vmware image from scratch?

Just burned his ISO

It's a pity. I wanted to have the andvantage to check the vmware host for testing purposes.
    Is this a major problem? Or is the vmware image not in use that often so that this information is new? Does it make sense to make an effort to create my own vmware image from scratch?
    i think the vm's are often in use. i think its a problem with my host Operating System. I use Windows 7 Ultimate with VmWare 7. What are you using?
    i remember earlier days, that i've successfully used the backtrack 3 VM Ware under XP as Operating System. So i think its perhaps a Problem with Windows 7 and the Backtrack VM Image.
    I'll try to install a new Backtrack4 VM.

Hia again,

i have some news. I tested the bt4 vmware on my laptop with windows 7 professional and vmware player! - not with the full vm ware workstation. This works. so i uninstalled vmware workstation on my pc and installed the vmware player. now eth0 get an ip from dhcp and the dns works well also. dont know whats wrong with the full version of vmware.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

s.
    Is this a major problem? Or is the vmware image not in use that often so that this information is new?
    This is not a "major" nor minor "problem". Me and many others use vmware images and have no problems (save for the expected user generated ones) with networking.
    I would suggest you take a look at how networking functions while using a virtualization product.
    The vmware product has a very good built in help system as well as their forums and online community. Not to mention at google

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast