Hello people,
It has been a while since I last posted here.
I have recently installed BT4, and I was playing with it the other night....
I was trying to brute force my WPA Password, and after capturing the 4 way handshake, I wanted to get john the ripper to generate all different combination of alphanumerical combinations using the "alpha" option and then feed the output to aircrack-ng.
Now, here is what happens.
when I run the following command:
# john --incremental:alpha --stdout | aircrack-ng -a 2 -b 00:11:22:33:44:55 -w - /root/wpa2*.cap
it says......
Opening /root/wpa2-01.cap
me@BT4:/pentest/passwords/jtr# Reading packets, please wait...

and it stays there forever......I mean hours ( last time it was 18 hours straight).
No other output. I have looked at the Performance Monitor and I can see the aircrack-ng process running and constantly using memory, and the john process at 0% all the time.
Now, my question is this: should I see any sort of output after "please wait..." or not?
The fact that nothing happens, does it mean that john is not generating anything to feed to aircrack?
I have even modified the john.conf file to only generate min-lenght=8 and max-lenght=8 to reduce the amount of tries. My test wpa passphrase is 8 characters long.
Has anyone out there tested this successfully? Any input is very appreciated.

Regards

All,

It's ok. I figured it out.
The problem was that I was running the "john" command out of path ( you need to be in /pentest/passwords/jtr/ ).
It's all good now.

Cheers