Thread: airodump-ng not saving packets

Just burned his ISO

Default airodump-ng not saving packets

Hi all,
    I have my EEE701 set up with a bootable SD card, without persistent changes.

For some reason I can collect as many packets as I need to decrypt my network's WEP key, but aircrack says it was unable to find the network in the file when I provide the BSSID, and even spoonwep just spends all of it's time sitting on "Cracking Packets".

I also can't find the capture file on the harddrive so I assume that airodump-ng isn't generating it.

Any idea? Is it the persistent changes that are the problem? It'd involve a lot of work on my end to enable them so I'd like to get by without them if possible.

Thanks all for your anticipated help!

can you post the commands you used with aircrack-ng and the output message.

I also can't find the capture file on the harddrive so I assume that airodump-ng isn't generating it.
    The airodump-ng command you need should look like this
    Code:
    # airodump-ng -c <channel> --bssid <bssid> -w dump, or whatever <interface>
    Any idea? Is it the persistent changes that are the problem? It'd involve a lot of work on my end to enable them so I'd like to get by without them if possible.
    I don't think that non-persistent mode is your problem here, but the -w switch of airodump-ng (please post your command) - the output of airodump-ng is written straight into the ramdisk. Btw, where's the problem in setting up persistent mode? Lot of work? It's just a partition labelled casper-rw (OR a file named casper-rw)

imported_MadHatter

Did you start your wifi in monitor mode? For me, to start it I say
    Code:
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    But it depends on the interface, like you could have ath0 or wifi0 etc. To find out which one it is just do either
    Code:
    airmon-ng
    or
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Hope it helps.