Thread: Internet

Just burned his ISO

Default Internet

I have been looking around google and this site for ways to connect to the internet, I found what I thought was useful information but was never able to try it at my college because we use Cisco (oh how I hate cisco). So now I'm home and tried the commands

/etc/init.d/networking start

and

/etc/init.d/wicd start

From what I found online I think that this should make both wireless and ethernet work, right? Well, after typing these in I tried to open the internet while connected with the ethernet, and all I got was just a long loading screen and then and error on firefox saying unable to connect. Do I have the commands right? Am I missing something? The internet works fine in windows. I should say that I am booting from a persistant usb, I don't know if that makes a difference or not, I hope not. Any ideas?

Default Re: Internet

If pureh@tes networking HowTo is not working for you, this provides some more in depth configuration information. You will need to use dhclient instead of dhcpcd if you want to use the dhcp method described though.

I dont know why you suggest Cisco is an issue with configuring a network. I am posting this from a BackTrack system connected to a Cisco router....
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacHank View Post
    I have been looking around google and this site for ways to connect to the internet, I found what I thought was useful information but was never able to try it at my college because we use Cisco (oh how I hate cisco). So now I'm home and tried the commands

/etc/init.d/networking start

and

/etc/init.d/wicd start

From what I found online I think that this should make both wireless and ethernet work, right? Well, after typing these in I tried to open the internet while connected with the ethernet, and all I got was just a long loading screen and then and error on firefox saying unable to connect. Do I have the commands right?
    Yes those commands are correct
    Am I missing something?
    Yes.
    With the commands above you've started networking services. You may still need to bring the interface up (ifconfig <interface> up) and you may still need to configure your wireless card (iwconfig). Then you'll need to use dhclient to get an IP address and DNS configuration information from your router (or whatever...). All of which means you'll need to read more about ifconfig, iwconfig, and dhclient.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the help. I listed cicso as a problem not as a router but as a security thingy. My college uses Cisco Clean Access agent which requires a school username and password (which I have) to get in as well as certain anti virus programs and other security precautions. But from the help you gave me I realize that I haven't done enough to get the internet working yet. Thanks again.