Thread: Hey Admin.....

Just burned his ISO

Talking Hey Admin.....

i downloaded baktrak and need 2 know if i hav 2 patch th dryverz and how do i do it can u help me with aircrack (pleez, ASAP) what is a station and how come my dictinary sez it cant be opened? everyone when i searched sez baktrak is the best but is it good as Slitaz? also u guys are so meen to noobs. i read the tutorials but they are confuzing cant u just write a script to automate aircrack so I can just type "crack-it" or sumthing and just get the passwords??
    Just kidding! July fools! :-)

Seriously though, I DO NOT have a question to pose here, as I always find the answers with a simple Google or Yahoo! search. I have been pouring over the forums the last several days and at first I thought you guys were a bit harsh on the noobs until I realized the sheer volume of idiotic questions people ask, and wasted plenty of my own time opening links to questions that were obviously posted by people with the IQ of a slime mold, or at best a vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza.

In all seriousness, I think y'all should post a header somewhere stating to the effect of:
    "BackTrack is a suite of PROFESSIONAL security tools, designed BY and FOR professionals in the IT security field. BackTrack is NOT a toy for bored kiddies trying to hack their neighbors' wifi networks. If you do not have a thorough grasp of Unix-like operating systems, proficiency on the command line and do not know what a shell script or man page is, please take your questions elsewhere. These forums are for discussions about BackTrack itself and its toolset, not just Aircrack-ng. Since the overwhelming majority of moronic inquiries pertain to Aircrack-ng, unless your question has to do with the integration of BackTrack with the Aircrack-ng suite please go haunt Aircrack-ng's forums instead. This is not a place to learn basic Linux skills either. We will not hold your hand. We ARE willing to help those with REAL questions who have obviously exhausted other avenues of inquiry, but if you cannot perform a simple conditional search or are too lazy to put in a few dozen (at least) hours of reading and experimenting, please do not waste our time or that of the forum's members. Again, BackTrack is a professional tool for professional users, not a toy for illegal use."

Something like this might just defer a good bit of the garbage traffic and save you the time of having to write a context-analysis script that automatically sends the junk to the idiots corner.

I'm still laughing (painfully) at the guy who said something to the likes of "...it says 'mon0 in monitor mode', and I have absolutely no idea what that means, please help", to which someone replied "try man airmon-ng" and the retarded planarian retorted (approximately) "Sorry to correct you, but don't you mean to say man0 airrmon-ng...". It took several long minutes for it to hit me that this guy had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT MAN PAGES ARE! Holy beJesus. If I had to read shit like that after work I'd be a lot harsher than you guys are. Drill sergeants would seem like pussies compared to the flogging some of these ignorami deserve. Perhaps someone could put together a "blooper reel" of the best of the worst, solely for entertainment purposes. The human condition can be quite disheartening at times...

That said, and if I still have your attention, I'd like to just share my experience with BT so far: After finally dumping Windoze for all the usual reasons, I've been using Linux for about 4 months now, and what a crash course it has been! After my first few days of pouring through the man pages and getting a grasp of the difference between DOS and Linux command lines, and finally understanding the major conceptual differences of DOS vs.UNIX/Linux (everything is a file!), things are going well. I realized that my computer skillset was sorely lacking though, in the critical area of networking. Having always been interested in cryptography and being a hardware-hacker kind of guy I decided the best way to learn about networks was to try to crack one of my wifi passwords (I've got three networks and six PCs now, thanks to Linux allowing me to run all my ancient hardware {even my P1 125 MHz/64 Meg RAM/768MB HD machine!}). After a week or so I was still having trouble patching the madwifi drivers for my Atheros chipset. Since they wouldn't auto-patch I went in and manually edited the source code, but could only get a few of the hunks to take. For a break, I decided to burn the BT4 .iso I had downloaded and experiment with it.
    WOW, what a glorious thing BT is! I was up and running in no time, and once I added my passphrase to the dictionary it was a piece of cake! Soon bored with Aircrack-ng, I perused the rest of the disk....WOW again! I can't wait to explore the hundred or so other tools on the DVD!
    I learned more about networking in the last two days fiddling with BT than in a hundred hours of reading. Sure, I've got plenty of questions as every answer spawns a dozen new questions, but that's what Google and books are for.
    The one boner I (sort of) pulled (no pun intended) was in trying BT4 pre-final before BT3. I thought "Wow, how cool, in this day and age there's something out there that doesn't use a gooey(sic). Later, whilst looking at some screenshots online and seeing KDE, I thought "huh?". It wasn't until after I acquired and downloaded BT3 (and got some SLEEP!) that I thought to just run startx. (DUH!!!)
    I guess it's easy enough to add to the startup routine, but when running off the live CD it's so much faster without x running, so I think I'll just leave it. By the way, including the Ubuntu installer was very posh.
    Anyway, great distro, it's been quite an education so far, and if I could give some advice to the noobs it would be:
    Just boot up and start experimenting. All the instructions and tutorials make a LOT more sense when you read them again AFTER getting your hands wet with Aircrack-ng or Wireshark or whatever. There's no teacher like experience.
    Also, ixnay the textspeak. It makes it impossible to tell if you're literate.

Thanks again for the education,
    Henry Microfarad
    It's the journey, not the destination that matters.

ouch, not even worth reading a sentence of this
    Auswaertsspiel

wow not even gonna bother reading the rest after those first few lines, but what ever problems u might have I'm guessing your getting a lot of "command not found" errors at the command line check your spelling

Just burned his ISO

Red face Jeez guys, the beginning was a joke.......

I just wanted to say hi and thanks for the edumication(sic).
    I guess there's too many people who really post questions like that for you guys to even get down to the "July Fools!" line.
    Sorry. I was just poking for a laugh after reading too many REAL posts like that while researching stuff on the forums.
    Please see the rest of the post.

imported_MadHatter

What a way to start posting, real intelligent.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Microfarad View Post
    Please see the rest of the post.
    That's part of the problem in today's world. People like twitter since it takes a few seconds to read. While on the other hand your dissertation may go largely unnoticed. I read it and while I thought man is it ever going to end, there are a few good points in there. One being "just experiement" of course on one's own equipment.
    Any rate welcome to the forums.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Red face To all : Accidentally got off on the wrong foot ....

Archangel.amael--
    Thanks for the patience to go read the rest of my post, and for the welcome!
    Sorry if I rubbed y'all the wrong way, I didn't realize that if wading through all the dumb posts exasperated me how much they must really piss you guys off..I guess I overdid it a bit with the creative writing. I really thought the "Just kidding" would be seen.
    You gotta admit though that it's hard to believe the guy who said "don't you mean man0 airmon-ng" even remembers to breathe. I guess that since I don't have to read tons of that spew on a daily basis I found it funny. In retrospect, if I were in your position I probably would not.
    I really do think that a very obvious "This is a professional tool"-type of statement might keep some of the chaff from landing.
    I just wanted to say what a great learning tool BT is. Even though I have no plans of becoming an IT professional, network security skills are still good to have and look good on a resumé. Getting under the hood of my network with BT has taught me way more in a couple of days than in a week of reading books. I also plan to go back and manually patch my madwifi drivers on another machine, because it will teach me a lot more about c and how drivers work than reading about it or just using the pre-patched ones; and now that I know what they do , thanks to BT, the source code will make a lot more sense.
    As for the intentions of many of the dill bags posting about aircrack-ng, I couldn't think of anything more boring than hacking some neighbor's wifi, it's a totally pointless crime. Those kids should stick to shoplifting or graffitti, at least they aren't federal felonies. I don't believe in violating the people in one's community. If I see a neighbor uses WEP or has a network called "Linksys" (default) I make it a point to tell them to use WPA and how to craft a hack-proof password.If they don't know how, I show them. (What ever happened to helping one another?)
    My point is that I just love to learn and BackTrack, aside from it's intended security-professional audience, is a great teaching tool, at least for me. Thanks.

MadHatter, Floyd & Toxic- Jeez, it was just a joke intro, I guess it was a little too well crafted since y'all didnt even get to the "just kidding" part.You must be the guys in charge of moderating the noob forum since you didn't see the humor in it. My apologies for ruffling your feathers & your patience.

One last thing, when people ask moronic questions, don't you ever mention the Super-Cow Powers and tell them all their problems will be solved if they just type:
    Code:
    apt-get moo
    ?

Thanks for hearing me out,
    Henry MFD

PS-- If I post again I'll try to turn off the -v option in my brain.