Thread: wlan0 does not exists ?

Hybrid View

Default wlan0 does not exists ?

I have a GN-WI07ht-rh card. It worked fine and the card showed up as wlan0. I was testing packet injection and it was fine. I then tested fake authentication. Which seemed to fail. Then I tried kismet and got a whole bunch of errors.

But now, when I restart my computer, I can not seem to get wlan0 up (ie: ifconfig wlan0 up, gives me an error message about not existing. airmon-ng commands can't get wlan0 running either.)

When I run lspci:

Ethernet Controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg wireless PCI express adapter (rev. 01)

I can't seem to bring wlan0 up again. I installed the madwifi-tools, but that didn't help, so I uninstalled the madwifi-tools.

Anyone know what command I can use to get my wlan0 up and running ?

what version of backtrack are u using? and are you sure that you turned the card on?
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

sorry. I'm running bt4 pre-final on my hard drive. My wlan0 was working fine for 3 weeks, it was only today that I was playing around with packet injection, fake authentication, installing madwifi-tools, uninstalling madwifi-tools and then trying to run kismet. Somewhere after playing with the madwifi-tools installation and running kismet is where I lost my wlan0.

I tried turning off and on the wifi button (but nothing happens.) If I boot up to vista, my wifi works, so I know the button is on the "on" position.

Incidently, if I boot up with the bt4 pre-final DVD, I do see my wlan0 interface card and I can use it. But when booting up from my hard drive, I can not bring up my wlan0 card (it's missing from the list when I type ifconfig or iwconfig. When I type ifconfig wlan0 up I get a message saying that "interface wlan0 does not exist")

Just burned his ISO

Mine did the same last night after installing madwifi-tools and updated everything with apt-get.

Spent most of last night attempting to fix it by redownloading drivers and searching the forums for people with the same problems... Couldn't find a thing.

Since mine was a fresh install anyways i've resorted to a fresh install.

My wlan0 card is an atheros. I also have an external usb wifi card. I used the external wifi card to update the repositories and then used synaptic package manager to install madwifi-drivers. Rebooted and now my internal atheros card is properly being seen by bt4 pre-release. (After the update, my atheros card shows up as ath0, instead of wlan0 - which I'm glad.)

syl.

Just burned his ISO

I'll give this a try later to see if it works for me also. As i'm used to typing ath0 rather than wlan0

Edit:- This does work, however.

I found if you install the drivers with tools and other packages it fails to show on a reboot. The way around this is to go back into synaptic after the reboot and tell it to reinstall the drivers again.
    After a reboot you can find ath0 in iwconfig

Also if your using wicd remember to edit the prefs so it uses ath0 and not the old wlan0.