Thread: Installing compiz-fusion and Emerald - ATI Radeon Mobility X700

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing compiz-fusion and Emerald - ATI Radeon Mobility X700

Hey all,

As the subject states, I have an ATI Radeon Mobility X700 video card, and I'd really like to get Compiz and Emerald going on it.

I've learned that this card IS supported, but that's about it! I'm new with Linux in general, so please bear with me.

I've successfully installed Compiz-Fusion and (I think) Emerald, and I have a "Compiz Fusion Icon" listing in my main menu, however nothing seems to happen when I click it. I'm not sure if Emerald successfully installed because I don't see it in the main menu anywhere.

So I used 'compiz --replace' in the terminal, and this was the output:

Code:
    compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Found laptop using radeon driver.
    aborting and using fallback: /opt/kde3/bin/kwin
    What's the next step from here? There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on installing Emerald or Compiz Fusion for this card specifically. Any thoughts?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by innervision View Post
    Hey all,
    As the subject states, I have an ATI Radeon Mobility X700 video card, and I'd really like to get Compiz and Emerald going on it.
    I've learned that this card IS supported, but that's about it! I'm new with Linux in general, so please bear with me.
    I've successfully installed Compiz-Fusion and (I think) Emerald, and I have a "Compiz Fusion Icon" listing in my main menu, however nothing seems to happen when I click it. I'm not sure if Emerald successfully installed because I don't see it in the main menu anywhere.
    So I used 'compiz --replace' in the terminal, and this was the output:
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Found laptop using radeon driver.
    aborting and using fallback: /opt/kde3/bin/kwin
    What's the next step from here? There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on installing Emerald or Compiz Fusion for this card specifically. Any thoughts?
    Are you trying to install it to a dead badger or what?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Haha almost.

lspci
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
    00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705_2 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
    06:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
    06:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
    06:09.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    06:09.3 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
    06:09.4 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621 Secure Digital Controller

Just burned his ISO

Any help with this? Or is more info needed?

Any help with this? Or is more info needed?
    Best place to go.

Ubuntu Forums
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Post number two is still waiting for an answer.
    Any rate since you are new to linux what do you expect to accomplish with a specialized distro geared toward penetration testers?
    Seriously the last thing you should be trying to do right now is install compiz fusion. I am not trying to discourage you but rather tell you, you are going about things the wrong way. Start with a normal distro ( like ubuntu) and learn to use the command line. Learn to search, learn your hardware and it's capabilities.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

archangel.amael,

I thought when you asked if I was trying to install to a dead badger, you were asking me about my hardware -- hence the lspci output I posted.

My goal is to learn Unix/Linux with an additional emphasis on security, since I will be pursuing a degree in that field. That's why I chose BackTrack, since it combines those things nicely.

I don't mind that challenge involved in this, I think it's the best way to learn -- creating a goal and following through to a solution. Anyway, I'll download the ATI drivers and check out the man pages for the commands involved, trial and error. Thanks anyway.

Hey all,

If you have the icon.. click on it... and show in the tasklist (down right) you have a small blue icon. click with the right mous tast on it.. and you see the menu for Compiz-Fusion.

ozzy

i have a NVIDIA by my run compiz only if i install it over the shell..
    in the forum BT4 beta you founa a manual how you install it with the shell.. i hope this help you