Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Give root password for maintenance

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Give root password for maintenance

    OK, installed BT4 Pre, system shut-downed unexpectedly and didn't set root password yet. After rebooting the system wants to do a fsck, ok, but it's asking for the root password for what isn't set yet. I understood you have to set a root password. I tried toor as root password.

    Now i am stuck every time i start the system, it persists to do a fsck, but also asks me for the root password. Is there a way to bypass the request?


  2. #2
    Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Crystal Wind
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Reinstall it so you have a known good base system, as it is you may have corrupted something along the way.
    Still not underestimating the power...

    There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    Reinstall it so you have a known good base system, as it is you may have corrupted something along the way.
    I found another to resolve when YOU didn't set root password:

    1) reboot PC
    2) press ESC to start-up GRUB
    3) change the startup lines and add as first:

    init=/bin/bash

    and then boot the system. It worked for me.

    edit: typo

  4. #4
    Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Crystal Wind
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sokolum View Post
    I found another to resolve when YOU didn't set root password:

    1) reboot PC
    2) press ESC to start-up GRUB
    3) change the startup lines and add as first:

    init=/bin/bash

    and then boot the system. It worked for me.

    edit: typo
    Yes but that would be breaking into the system, which is different from ensuring that you have a known clean baseline to work with.
    Still not underestimating the power...

    There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sokolum View Post
    OK, installed BT4 Pre, system shut-downed unexpectedly and didn't set root password yet. After rebooting the system wants to do a fsck, ok, but it's asking for the root password for what isn't set yet. I understood you have to set a root password. I tried toor as root password.
    Now i am stuck every time i start the system, it persists to do a fsck, but also asks me for the root password. Is there a way to bypass the request?
    If you have a user installed on the system then you could probably use sudo to gain root privelages to move forward. I would suggest you follow the advice of Gitsnik though.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •