Thread: Backtrack 3 final not detecting realtek 8187b in VMware player machine

Just burned his ISO

Angry Backtrack 3 final not detecting realtek 8187b in VMware player machine

Hi. I am new to the BT forums. I am also very new to linux, and know a few basic commands but I am gradually familiarising myself. I read the thread about virtual machines, I am not asking how to configure my card for the virtual machine, I have done that already, so I hope I don't annoy anyone by asking about virtual machine config, if I have I apologise. I am using Backtrack 3 final VMWare disc image. I loaded it up in VMWare, it started fine. The wifi switch for my laptop, E-System 1201 was turned on. I configured the VM to use my card, and use NAT, as I am behind a router. I am testing the WEP security on my home network using aircrack and airodump. When I run the command airmon-ng stop wlan0, it does not detect my card. I have configured it correctly with the VMWare. The solution I found was a driver I downloaded from another location, in the form of a .lzm file. I hope that this will allow me to use the card and make Backtrack 3 detect it. I checked the compatibility of this card, have done all my compatibility and aircrack + airodump research, spent several days on it, and discovered it wasn't being detected. If I need to install the .lzm driver, can someone guide me through clearly with simple steps on how to install it and the commands? If this is not the issue can someone give me any more recommendations? Thanks very much, this issue is really getting to me. I've spent about 9 days on this now, just doing the research, trying to find answers and I can't find any particular answers for my card. Thanks. Once again I apologise if I made a mistake asking about virtual machines, I do not mean to anger anyone. Also some other (possibly useful) information, host system is Vista with a dual boot of Ubuntu 9.04 (have tried on there and does not detect card). Also tried starting in VESA KDE mode but does not detect my card.

Your wireless card is on usb/mini pci/mini pici-e? If 'usb' is not the answer then forget about, it doesn't work with virtual box, vmware or other virtualisation software
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Kitamarui View Post
    The wifi switch for my laptop, E-System 1201 was turned on.
    VMware doesn't work with internal pci wireless devices. And rtl8187b doesn't work very well with aircrack suite.

Just burned his ISO

Default RE: Backtrack 3 final not detecting realtek 8187b in VMware player machine

Thanks anyway. I managed to do the hack in Ubuntu 9.04 but I wish to try it out with Backtrack 3. I burnt the backtrack 3 ISO to a disc, but when I boot it, it comes up with a screen with a lot of code on it, then stops with a flashing cursor that looks like: A:\> Any reason why that is happening? Is my hardware not supported? Are there any workarounds for this? I will try to get it working again but the only way I can get it to boot is through virtualbox or VMWare. Thanks for the replies.

Just burned his ISO

I assume at this point you were expecting a gui? If so and unless it is looking for sign in info type "startx" and that will get you to the normal desktop.

Thanks anyway. I managed to do the hack in Ubuntu 9.04 but I wish to try it out with Backtrack 3. I burnt the backtrack 3 ISO to a disc, but when I boot it, it comes up with a screen with a lot of code on it, then stops with a flashing cursor that looks like: A:\> Any reason why that is happening? Is my hardware not supported? Are there any workarounds for this? I will try to get it working again but the only way I can get it to boot is through virtualbox or VMWare. Thanks for the replies.
    I'm getting tired of the startx question... There should be a mandatory course for newbies with a final small test that when the person finishes the test with a good grade, the posting previlleges would be given to the person in question.

Above all why are you using backtrack 3? It has literally everything older than whatever that's included on ubuntu 9.04. Have you given backtrack 4 pre final a try?

Just burned his ISO

Default RE: Backtrack 3 final not detecting realtek 8187b in VMWare player machine

The reason I am using Backtrack 3 is that currently I do not have the right size of CDs to burn the ISO to. I have only 700Mb discs, I do have the ISO for BT4, however, when I burnt it to a DVD, I don't think it worked properly. I have some 4.7GB DVDs, but the thing is, I don't know if my laptop supports booting from DVDs. Correct me if I am wrong though, it is an E-System 1201, so its a pretty recent model, and it is very new.