Thread: ettercap scan problem

Just burned his ISO

Default ettercap scan problem

I got two routers, router A is wire, router B is wireless. Router B connect to router A. There's also an laptop A connect to router A. My laptop connect to router B with wifi connection. I use ettercap to scan hosts on router A, but nothing found. But I got respond with a ping command from laptop A. How can I discover the hosts on the router A with ettercap?

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

I'm putting in a solid bet here and saying that the two routers both do NAT and that your ettercap is running behind router B (on laptop B). If that's the case, try sticking it behind router A (i.e. hardwire it) and try again.

Also, hit up wikipedia, look at the basics of networking (specifically address resolution protocol) and ethernet. The answer will be extremely obvious after you have got a grasp on what you are trying to do.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    I'm putting in a solid bet here and saying that the two routers both do NAT and that your ettercap is running behind router B (on laptop B). If that's the case, try sticking it behind router A (i.e. hardwire it) and try again.

Also, hit up wikipedia, look at the basics of networking (specifically address resolution protocol) and ethernet. The answer will be extremely obvious after you have got a grasp on what you are trying to do.
    Thank you for your answer Gitsnik.