Thread: iwconfig shows wlan0 but no wireless connectivity?

Just burned his ISO

Default iwconfig shows wlan0 but no wireless connectivity?

Hi guys, small problem with my wireless connection (sorry if its been repeated).

Broadcom, iwconfig shows a working wlan0, wireshark and airemon all able to see networks, sniff packets, go into monitor mode OK.

However, can't connect to the network! No networks visible in wicd, can't connect manually (iwconfig wlan0 essid WiFi mode managed key whatever-your-key-is *from another thread*-get an error "Error for wireless request "setESSID 8B1A SET failed on device wlan0; operation not supported.) and I'm not sure what else to do.
    Ndiswrapper is not installed (getting an apt-get) but I believe it is already bundled with the kernel in 4.0? I have a little Ubuntu knowledge, but not a lot.

Thanks very much for all your help in making backtrack, it really is a good piece of kit.

You don't need Ndiswrapper if iwconfig shows a device with wireless extensions in its output, its only useful if your wireless device doesn't have a native Linux driver.

Follow the instructions on this page to setup your wireless network and make sure you select the appropriate method depending on whether your network uses WEP or WPA:

Howto: How to configure your Network Card - Offensive-security.com
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    You don't need Ndiswrapper if iwconfig shows a device with wireless extensions in its output, its only useful if your wireless device doesn't have a native Linux driver.

Follow the instructions on this page to setup your wireless network and make sure you select the appropriate method depending on whether your network uses WEP or WPA:
    Thanks for the reply lupin. I'm following all the steps but when I get to requesting a DHCP address I get a "dhcpcd not installed" apt-get error. Since I'm running off the disc with no internet connection, any clues?