Thread: Boot Hang

Default Boot Hang

When I boot backtrack 3 final it will hang at this line:
    "sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda"

Sometimes it will take 1 minute, and others times 10 minutes. My computer boots from the HDD tables so idk why it would look at SDA?

Is there anyway of skipping this process?

Thank You

EDIT: This is my lilo settings

Code:
    lba32
    boot=/dev/hdd
    prompt
    timeout=60
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdd3
    label = BT3

shouldn't it be hda#/sda# depending on the type of disk your using? i.e. IDE/SATA and not HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by laffing_man View Post
    shouldn't it be hda#/sda# depending on the type of disk your using? i.e. IDE/SATA and not HDD?
    That is what I was going to say. I think that the OP needs to read this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...ice-names.html

Edit:

OP, can you give more hardware info? Do you have any accessories plugged into this machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble View Post
    That is what I was going to say. I think that the OP needs to read this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...ice-names.html

Edit:

OP, can you give more hardware info? Do you have any accessories plugged into this machine?
    No i do not, I have a new ASUS Eee PC 900 and it has a 20GB Solid state drive. Although the 900 has 900Ghz I wouldn't think this would be causing the problem?

When i frist received it, it had 3 tables. 1st which had 5 GBs of space (HDA - Old OS), 2nd which was 15GB (HDD - BT), and the 3rd which is the USB flash drive which is needed to install BT. There was no reason for me to put BT on the first drive sense their is less space, unless I have too? So i put it on the second drive which was HDD.

When i boot the machine, nothing is plugged into it, yet it reads SDA?

Bump.

I decided to return the 900 and just drop another 30$ for the 901. And I will start from scratch again.

I am still having this problem. This will be my last psot related to this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by fossilk1 View Post
    I am still having this problem. This will be my last psot related to this topic.
    did you at least try and read what Mr. Flibble linked? What guides did you follow? did you follow them exactly? are you sure its supposed to be hdd and not hda# or sda#? maybe you should go back and read that link and understand the naming system. Did you partition the drive and make it that partition bootable? Just giving up, your not going to learn anything.... I installed BT3/4 on my 900a and my 1000he both on the HDD and SDD as well as on the sd cards and have not had any problems...

Quote Originally Posted by laffing_man View Post
    did you at least try and read what Mr. Flibble linked? What guides did you follow? did you follow them exactly? are you sure its supposed to be hdd and not hda# or sda#? maybe you should go back and read that link and understand the naming system. Did you partition the drive and make it that partition bootable? Just giving up, your not going to learn anything.... I installed BT3/4 on my 900a and my 1000he both on the HDD and SDD as well as on the sd cards and have not had any problems...
    I did read his link he posted. When the 901 comes in I will install the BT on the hda#/sda# table instead of the hdd/sdd. I am not giving up in anyway, I am just curious if more speed will do anything. It will probably make a little difference. Plus i was not happy with the 900, it was a bit laggy.

On the 900, the hda/sda had less space than the hdd/sdd. So I installed BT on the device which had more space (hdd).

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by fossilk1 View Post
    When I boot backtrack 3 final it will hang at this line:
    "sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda"

Sometimes it will take 1 minute, and others times 10 minutes. My computer boots from the HDD tables so idk why it would look at SDA?

Is there anyway of skipping this process?

Thank You

EDIT: This is my lilo settings

Code:
    lba32
    boot=/dev/hdd
    prompt
    timeout=60
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdd3
    label = BT3
    Hey guys whats up,
    I am new to this and I was wondering if you could help me with this issue I am having.
    I made a bootable cd for BT 3 and it works fine on my xp desktop.
    But when i put the cd into my vista 64bit HP Pavilion tx2500z and boot up BT 2; the whole script and all comes up, but before the desktop comes up my laptop shuts down every time.

Can someone please help me find a solution for this.

Thank you,

Just burned his ISO

Default Any luck?

Fossilk1, did you solve the problem or what happened?
    I have the same type of computer and the same issue
    I noticed that when I DO have a usb-stick attached, the boot process actually gets past "sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda" and hangs two rows later.
    After "sd 4:0:0:0: ..." it prints:

scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB2.0 cardreader SD0 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
    sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb

I didn't have this problem at first, but they appeared after I fixed various other problems with this workaround:

(*sorry, I haven't made 15 posts so I'm not allowed to post links*) forums. remote-exploit.org/bt3beta-software-related-issues/10317-weird-konqueror-error-2. html

Hope you solved your problems, and if you remember how you did it, it would be greatly appreciated