Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: building an omni directional antenna

Just burned his ISO

cool thanx for the link SephStorm ill check it out

no problem.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Just burned his ISO

just placed my order for LMR400 gonna take a while to get here. with nothing to do till then i decided to build one of those BiQuad antennas i have been reading about from few N connectors i had laying around. here are few pics if your wondering what one looks like --> brest-wireless.net/gallery/AntenneQuads?page=1 so anyway i finished it and wanted to test it out
    but i couldn't find my wireless card so i took down my 19dbi panel that i am currently using to bridge with my friends AP and replaced it with the biquad,
    i wasn't really expecting much from this little thing but to my amazement i was getting much much better performance with it than i was with my 19dbi panel I don't know much about antennas but if anyone could tell me i would like to know why this 9 -12dbi biquad is doing better than my 19dbi panel

Quote Originally Posted by Turbolsv View Post
    just placed my order for LMR400 gonna take a while to get here. with nothing to do till then i decided to build one of those BiQuad antennas i have been reading about from few N connectors i had laying around. here are few pics if your wondering what one looks like --> brest-wireless.net/gallery/AntenneQuads?page=1 so anyway i finished it and wanted to test it out
    but i couldn't find my wireless card so i took down my 19dbi panel that i am currently using to bridge with my friends AP and replaced it with the biquad,
    i wasn't really expecting much from this little thing but to my amazement i was getting much much better performance with it than i was with my 19dbi panel I don't know much about antennas but if anyone could tell me i would like to know why this 9 -12dbi biquad is doing better than my 19dbi panel
    They aren't quite as directional as your dish, so probably a slight alignment issue.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Turbolsv View Post
    All other factors being equal, there is no way that a hand-built biquad will perform better than a a large panel.

Aside from what Barry mentioned, polarity could be another factor, as could an incorrectly computed Fresnel Zone. The panel could be defective, too.

BTW, buy that book!
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12