Thread: Dell Latitude D620/D630

Hybrid View

Talking Dell Latitude D620/D630

I have been able to successfully install BT4 prefinal on both a d620 and a d630, both have dual wifi cards and 3 gig ram. Both wifi cards are successfully detected and operate properly, able to inject. Other than following the instructions in the "up and running with backtrack prefinal", I have ran into no issues so far on either laptop. Both were live cd boots followed by local harddrive installs.

On a further note I am also able to boot to usb with persistant changes on bt3 with both models and without persistant changes on usb bt4 pre.

I have not attempted persistant boot on usb yet for bt4 but should have time this weekend.

Just burned his ISO

I have a D630 that I boot BT4 off a persistent USB drive. But it does not like my Broadcom 1395. Which cards do you have in yours and how do you have dual internal wlan's?

I don't think a 802.11b/g card counts as two cards....

Actually pulling the keyboard off a D620 there's a second mini-pci slot for a wwan card. I guess you could throw a second wifi card in the slot. Not too sure how bad the antenna's will screw up the card though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Well I'll be damned. I just got in my spare Broadcom 1390 (bought for $.99) and threw it in the wwan slot in a spare D630 we have here and it worked great. Nice to learn something new everyday.

Default Indeed

That is exactly what I did, putting a 2nd card in the spare slot. I noticed that with the antenna's that ran there stock i only get about 50 to 75% of the reception in comparison to the main card, but it works nonetheless and I am sure i could modify it further if it starts to bug me.
    Normally my setup is to use the 2nd card (weaker) to connect to the internet while i run kismet (or otherwise) on the stronger card, but both seem able to inject so it really doesn't matter.

I will open up my PC when I get off work and get the exact model of both cards and post here later tonight. Is there any other relevant information you would like me to post?