Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTK-apps appearance in BT4 pre-final

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Awesome, thanks! I'll provide this link as an alternative download source within the tutorial. I haven't expected such a fast response - great community!!!

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

How many icons are in that zip file?

The more I think about, the more I think that 77 megabytes is a RIDICULOUS size for an icon library. Even if there's a thousand icons in it, that would make them an average of 77 kilobytes each... which is still massive.

I downloaded OpenOffice 3.0 a few weeks ago and it was only about 80 megabytes... so how the hell do a bunch of icons measure up to 77 megs?!
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

How many icons are in that zip file?
    Honestly, I don't know. What I can tell ya is the following: I took the original set (77MB in size), executed a shell-script to convert the KDE3 to a KDE4 naming theme and then put the result to the icon-naming-utils, i.e. icon-name-mapping (a perl-script) from the Tango freedesktop project and as a last step I wrote a new index.desktop set-description-file. The result was 81MB in size, then I put this into the tarball (again 77MB in size)

Hi or4n9e, and thanks for the tutorial!
    What changes did you made to the icon pack? Didn't notice any difference...

Just burned his ISO imported_RaderCad's Avatar

Cool Nicely done

Happy day! A very nice step by step. As I am re-re-re-learning unix commands it was a tread to follow along with a well thought-out and concise 'how to'. Great stuff.

What changes did you made to the icon pack? Didn't notice any difference...
    Basically I made the icon theme conform with the FSF icon naming specification. See, KDE3 is non-standard in several ways, or better it follows its own standards that aren't conform with GNOME or KDE4. First thing I did in BT4beta was the appropriate adjustment of the Desktop menu entries (FSF Desktop Entry Specification - this is standard now in BT4 pre-final). The same thing generally applies to any KDE3 icon theme. With my modified theme you're able to use the nuvoX icons also with GNOME and KDE4 apps while preserving KDE3 compatibility. With e.g. Firefox, WICD, XChat and other GTK apps shipping with BT4 pre-final the "old", i.e. default, icon theme wouldn't work but my modified one does, thanks to a conversation to KDE4 naming theme and an additional step through the FSF icon naming utils from the Tango Free Desktop Project.

HTH orange

bravo! good show or4n9e
    'see the fnords!'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12