Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTK-apps appearance in BT4 pre-final

Default GTK-apps appearance in BT4 pre-final

Community,

UPDATE: The tutorial below depends on the gnome-brave-icon-theme from the gnome-colors-packagers PPA for Intrepid. I presented this solution (from an icon perspective) due to the following reason: usually KDE3 icon themes are not conform with the FSF icon naming specification and thus the default BT4 icon-theme (nuvoX 0.7.1) does not work with GTK-apps. Today I managed to create a modified version of the default BT4 icon-theme that works with both KDE3 and GTK-apps utilizing the icon-naming-utils from the Tango Project. In a subseqent post I'll now present a solution that also covers the use of nuvoX for GTK-apps and thus delivers an even more complete integration of GTK-apps into the KDE3 desktop environment (QTCurve and nuvoX) - please decide by yourself which one you prefer personally (I myself use nuvoX now for GTK-apps)

from my perspective GTK-apps in BT4 pre-final doesn't look integrated at all into the KDE3 desktop experience. This is rather annoying as heavily used applications like e.g. firefox, synaptic, xchat, update-notifier, wicd and so on feel somewhat displaced. I did some investigation on this and like to share my findings with the BT community. During this tutorial we'll install the gnome-brave-icon-theme (the most complete gnome-icon-theme I'm aware of) and the QTCurve gtk-theme (this is the default since Jaunty) to achieve an integrated look & feel of GTK-apps while using BT4 pre-final with KDE3. So, here we go:

1st Step: Subscribe to the gnome-colors-packagers PPA for Intrepid, import its OpenPGP key and resynchronize the package index files from their sources
    Code:
    # sh -c 'echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome-colors-packagers/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
    # apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 41c2359b9c2f88f0d47040322d79f61be8d31a30
    # apt-get update
    2nd Step: Install the required packages to achieve an integrated look & feel of GTK-apps
    Code:
    # apt-get install gtk2-engines-qtcurve kde-style-qtcurve kde-style-qtcurve-kde3 kdelibs4c2a qtcurve-kde3 gtk-qt-engine-kde3 gnome-brave-icon-theme gnome-colors-common
    3rd Step: Navigate to Settings - Appearance & Themes - GTK Styles and Fonts from your KDE menu, select "Use another style: QTCurve" from the Dialog under "GTK Styles" and click "Apply"

4th Step: Open the configuration file /root/.gtkrc-2.0-kde-kde4 with Kate, add the following line (...) to the very bottom and save the changes
    Code:
    gtk-icon-theme-name="gnome-brave"
    Now, logout from your KDE session and login again. Start some GTK-apps and feel more comfortable :-)

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Nice!

Great work!

I don't look like I'm using Windows 3.11 anymore!

This definitely needs to be built into the BT4 Final edition.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Very nice, thanks!
    /Spider

Do not blindly accept. Get at The Truth.

Default nuvoX and QTCurve - the complete solution

Community,

I'll now show you how to integrate GTK-apps almost perfectly into the KDE3 desktop environment. For this purpose (and in addition to yesterday's presented QTCurve/gnome-brave-icon-theme solution), I created a modified version of the BT4 default icon-theme that is conform with the FSF icon naming specification. If you follow this tutorial, you'll end up with nearly native-looking GTK-apps (qt-theme AND icon-theme). So, let's get started:

1st Step: Install QTCurve and related packages
    Code:
    # apt-get install gtk2-engines-qtcurve kde-style-qtcurve kde-style-qtcurve-kde3 kdelibs4c2a qtcurve-kde3 gtk-qt-engine-kde3
    2nd Step: Navigate to Settings - Appearance & Themes - GTK Styles and Fonts from your KDE menu, select "Use another style: QTCurve" from the Dialog under "GTK Styles" and click "Apply"

3rd Step: Open the configuration file /root/.gtkrc-2.0-kde-kde4 with Kate, add the following line (...) to the very bottom and save the changes
    Code:
    gtk-icon-theme-name="nuvoX_0.7"
    4th Step: Download my modified nuvoX icon-theme, install it and remove the default BT4 nuvoX icon-teme

EDIT: The download of my modified nuvoX icon-theme produced an unexpected HUGE traffic the last days. Thanks to Virchanza, there's an alternative download source available as of today - please balance between these two sources
    Code:
    # wget http://virjacode.com/projects/beefup/dloads/nuvoX_0.7.tar.gz
    Code:
    # wget http://piranha.klashed.net/private/BT4-pre-final/nuvoX/nuvoX_0.7.tar.gz
    # tar -C /usr/share/icons/ -xzf nuvoX_0.7.tar.gz
    # rm -rf /root/.kde3/share/icons/nuvoX_0.7
    Now, just restart KDE and enjoy! Let me know if you encounter any issues.

PS: It might be needed to re-select the nuvoX 0.7.1 icon-theme from the Dialog "KMenu - Settings - Appearance & Themes - Icons" and Click "Apply" before restarting KDE.

How come the icons are 77 megabytes?! :O

I'm gonna have to leave them downloading overnight. . .
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

How come the icons are 77 megabytes?!
    I'm sorry for that, but even the default nuvoX icon-theme in BT4 pre-final is 77MB large (extracted size). My modified set is just ~4MB larger.

I like this look much better! Thanks you for sharing this with us. Great work.
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    I'm sorry for that, but even the default nuvoX icon-theme in BT4 pre-final is 77MB large (extracted size). My modified set is just ~4MB larger.
    I remember when I was a kid I used to collect icons... (yeah kids do strange things)... I had about a thousand of them stored on a 3.5 inch floppy.

When did icons become so big? :-O

Community,

I'd like to ask if some community member would be able/willing to host, i.e. mirror, my modified nuvoX icon-theme and support me in providing it to the community. I encounter unexpected HUGE traffic at the server since I uploaded this. Creating a torrent and seeding until a critical mass is reached would also be sufficient.

In case you'd be able/willing to support me, the tarball we're talking about is at http://piranha.klashed.net/private/B...voX_0.7.tar.gz

Thanks a lot in advance,
    orange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast