Thread: BT4 root issue. Please help me.

Question BT4 root issue. Please help me.

Hello folks. This is my first post on here. I've actually been reading on here for a long time and I've used bt2, bt3, and now onto bt4. I am a noob when it comes to linux eventhough I have been playing with it for a while now.

So the issue I have is I installed bt4 pre final to my hd and I entered in my desired username and pw, and every time I open up a console window I have to "sudo -i" to get root privileges so I can run the aircrack suite and most other things. I am unable to login to bt4 with the usual "root" username and "toor" pw that was available in bt2 and bt3, I can only login with the username and pw I created.

How can I go about to make it that my username always has root privileges or just login as root? This should be easy enough for anyone who knows what they're doing but I dont.

Thank you very much.

Just burned his ISO

Log in as your user, "sudo -s", enter your users password, you will get root access, then do "passwd" to change root password.

Ok, I figured out that after logging in, I can use the sudo -i command and then do startx and I will have root privileges during that session. Not exactly the solution I was looking for but it works for now until someone else has a better solution.

Just burned his ISO

bt4 is based on ubuntu. And as all the ubuntu installation the root password is set to the that you use for your username.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFoez View Post
    How can I go about to make it that my username always has root privileges or just login as root? This should be easy enough for anyone who knows what they're doing but I dont.
    # man passwd

And if you don't know what you are doing, what do you plan to achieve by using BT? Try something easier.
    I mean seriously you can get nmap for windows. And cracking wep is so 2006.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kalgecin View Post
    bt4 is based on ubuntu. And as all the ubuntu installation the root password is set to the that you use for your username.
    No... the root password on Ubuntu is unset, preventing the root account from being used. Try a "head -n1 /etc/shadow" as a privileged user and see what it says.

The user password is used to gain root privilege through sudo, because this is how sudo works - it prompts for the users password and lets them perform actions as another user as specified in the sudoers file.

@OP, I suggest you get used to running as a regular user, this is closer to the way a normal installed Linux system should be run. Amongst other things it will help prevent accidental damage to your system if you run the wrong command. This type of thing is not such a big deal on a live system (you can just reboot to fix it), however it can be a big deal on an installed system.

If you want to logon as root though, its possible to reenable the root account by setting a password on it (hint "passwd" command), and to enable root logon to the GUI environment if its not already enabled.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

One thing that I tried that worked was after I logged in I then did the sudo -i, and then startx. That worked fine for me.

I do have some knowledge with backtrack. I've been very successful cracking wep. Although wep is so 2006, too many people in my area still have it. Actually most networks around me are wep 64 bit. Kinda dumb of them.

Thank you for your responses.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

The reason you can't log in as root is that there's no password on the root account.

You need to give the root account a password, so open up a terminal and do:

Code:
    sudo passwd
    It will prompt you to enter a new password for root.

After that's done, you can log in as root.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".