Thread: im a total newbie,some help please

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default im a total newbie,some help please

First thing i would like to say hello since im a new member. I am a total newbie to linux/backtrack. To be honest i have never really used any of these before. The reason i want to learn is because i plan on studying networks at uni next year and hopefully some years down the line be able to become a network security expert. i realize that i cant just start using backtrack , so would ubuntu be a good choice of distro to start with ? also i need to buy a usb wireless adapter, any suggestions (i know that some exist that dont really work with backtrak/other linux distros ) .
    Once again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickda_corfu View Post
    First thing i would like to say hello since im a new member. I am a total newbie to linux/backtrack. To be honest i have never really used any of these before. The reason i want to learn is because i plan on studying networks at uni next year and hopefully some years down the line be able to become a network security expert. i realize that i cant just start using backtrack , so would ubuntu be a good choice of distro to start with ? also i need to buy a usb wireless adapter, any suggestions (i know that some exist that dont really work with backtrak/other linux distros ) .
    Once again thanks
    1. Ubuntu would be a good start for ya - BT4 is based on Intrepid Ibex
    2. I'd either recommend a "Alfa Networks AWUS036H 500mw USB wifi adaptor" or some Ubiquiti device, e.g. the "SuperRange Cardbus"

HTH orange