I feel like I'm drowned out of my depth but here goes...

I'm on a mac trying to run BT4 with VMware fusion, the problem appears to be getting a driver to work because iwconfig just leads to 'no wireless extensions'....

...what does my head in is trying to figure out how you get to directories on my computer... so for example I have downloaded:

rt2870-2.6.28-apocolipse.tar

As I want to try to get it working with an Alfa AWUS050NH...

I don't understand how directory structure works [AND IVE REALLY TRIED TO] so for instance when I download a .tar file how do I access it within terminal to extract it, how do I even find my home folder on the mac within backtrack, or is that even possible...

Just feel like giving up right now, I feel like theres fundamental stuff I need to know that I don't but I've read soooo many pages about linux commands, install guides and so on, so any help, perhaps from a kind someone who's done the exact same thing, ie BT4 with VMfusion on a mac using an Alfa AWUS050NH [or rt73 or d-link], would be much appreciated...

I tried to install a rt73 driver as I have one of those too and couldn't get that to work either....

Also if there are far easier or newbie-friendly ways for me to get BT4 running than the way I'm trying, do let me know...