Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VM testing environment

Default VM testing environment

Just wondering if I can use 1 computer to run a few different operating systems under VM to pen test instead of having 3-4 different computers?

Yes. I can run 3-4 operating systems on one machine before things start to get laggy. Look into the host only network feature if you want to make an isolated lab on one machine.

yes this i possible assuming you have sufficient disk space for all the operating systems you plan to install

I did it with virtualbox running XP and bt as guests on an ubuntu host. I had to mess around with port forwarding and network bridging to make it a little more realistic. Unlike Lincoln, I found running more than one OS virtually to be pretty laggy though, so you'd best have a good machine.

Yes, I dont need the OS to run very fast so I will probably have 2 per comp. I just want to make sure that it is as real as possible. I assume that all the OS's will have separate IPs and such?

I'm not sure how it works with vmware, but with virtualbox I needed to configure the guest OS to forward ports to the localhost. I figured it out with a google search of "port forwarding" and "virtualbox". This did not give a different IP to the guest OS, just opened the ports I wanted to exploit on 127.0.0.1. The other method I experimented with was network bridging which involved creating a new network interface on the host OS with it's own IP. This was achieved with the host OS, so if you're running windows as the host it may be problematic.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

EDIT: Corrected bad info.
    But with something like vmware server you can run several at a time.
    Memory is going to be your biggest problem.
    I would recommend you run at least 3 gigs of memory on the host.
    So long as the guest is not doing much it will not eat a lot of resources up.
    Much like the host itself. I use a vmware server on a dedicated box with 4 gigs and have had ms server 08 and 03 both running at the same time with little to know problems. I have also had bt3, gentoo and xp running at the same time and have seen little problems either. The MS family of course will eat up a lot of memory out of the box but a lot of the features can be turned off to save resources.
    As for IP configuration server and workstation provide tools that will make it easier to setup. However a basic understanding of networking is still required.
    If you need help with it then shoot a pm my way, since setting it up is not really for the forums.
    If it is something that helps the community we could always post it later on.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Dooms_day

are you sure about one vmware at a time, cause i swear i was running backtrack and server 03, on my XP box at the same time

im at work so i cant check

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dooms_day View Post
    are you sure about one vmware at a time, cause i swear i was running backtrack and server 03, on my XP box at the same time

im at work so i cant check
    I just double checked and apparently one can run multiple instances of the player.
    Sorry for the disinformation.
    Post edited.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Thanks, i'll try this in a day or two hopefully!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast