Thread: Alfa AWUS036H with only 1 USB plug not "High gain upgradeable"?

Default Alfa AWUS036H with only 1 USB plug not "High gain upgradeable"?

Hello

My new Alfa AWUS036H has only a cable with one USB plug..

Does that mean that Alfa AWUS036H is not "High gain upgradeable"?

Thank's for any feedback!

John

Just burned his ISO

I think their shipping the new batch of AWUS036H with only one usb plug and not the old dual usb plug. I got mine a few days ago and its a 2009 batch (i think).

What do you mean by "High gain upgradeable"? do you mean that you wouldnt be getting the 500mw if you're using only one usb plug? Ive read here somewhere that it doesnt need two usb plugs to attain the 500mw power, 1 usb plug is enough.

Just burned his ISO

Well im looking at purchasing a awus036h. Have been doing some reading here and it looks like they do a fine job and are well liked. I have a couple of gift certificates from Amazon and I can get a awus036h with the 9db antenna for 16 bucks shipped. Not bad at all.

Right now I am struggling with the idea of an external antenna. I have a lenovo T60 and I was also thinking about replacing the internal nic with something that has an Atheros chip.

The real question I have to answer is "do I want to worry about carrying and connecting an external antenna when I want to play". Also, the the idea of an external adapter with a 9db antenna really kills the ability to fly under the radar in a crowded environment.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Mine fails when trying to transmit with only one USB plug, but receiving works fine.

Those 2 cabling won't affect the power issue as it will still give 500mW/27dBm.There is a common misconception with regards to this device requiring two USB connectors. This device does not exactly need both USB connectors plugged in for it to work. The only reason why it was provided with two USB connectors is because of an instance whereby a person uses either an unpowered USB hub and/or the output from the computer's USB port is inadequate (very rare case for computers to do that, most do power their USB ports) and with other USB devices hooked onto either the unpowered USB hub or computer's USB ports there may not be enough power for the USB network dongle to work. So having the second USB connector plugged in gives the USB network dongle a slightly upper hand advantage in being provided with more power.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter20 View Post

What do you mean by "High gain upgradeable"? do you mean that you wouldnt be getting the 500mw if you're using only one usb plug? Ive read here somewhere that it doesnt need two usb plugs to attain the 500mw power, 1 usb plug is enough.
    Thank's hunter20,

yes I was affraid that my AWUS036h is not "High gain upgradeable" with the 1 only USB plug.

"High gain upgradeable" its mentioned/written in the product PDF found at the website of ALFA,
    but I dont know what that really means...

John

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    Those 2 cabling won't affect the power issue as it will still give 500mW/27dBm.There is a common misconception with regards to this device requiring two USB connectors. This device does not exactly need both USB connectors plugged in for it to work. The only reason why it was provided with two USB connectors is because of an instance whereby a person uses either an unpowered USB hub and/or the output from the computer's USB port is inadequate (very rare case for computers to do that, most do power their USB ports) and with other USB devices hooked onto either the unpowered USB hub or computer's USB ports there may not be enough power for the USB network dongle to work. So having the second USB connector plugged in gives the USB network dongle a slightly upper hand advantage in being provided with more power.

Thank's a lot for the helpful informations!

John

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    That's exactly the case with my old laptop.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    Thank's hunter20,

yes I was affraid that my AWUS036h is not "High gain upgradeable" with the 1 only USB plug.

"High gain upgradeable" its mentioned/written in the product PDF found at the website of ALFA,
    but I dont know what that really means...

John
    oh.. well i think they meant by "High gain upgradeable" is the changeable antenna which can increase your gain..

I do have a 9dbi antenna with 3m of coax and a 7dbi and a 4dbi antenna, all of which are omnis...honestly i cant tell the difference between the 4dbi and the 9dbi, they're detecting almost the same number of APs..I'll try to have a pigtail soon to test if its the coax cable thats holding back my 9dbi omni...

trying to find the best antenna for this device is really frustrating...

Well Hunter, did you keep in mind the angle also changes with a longer omni antenna? For urban areas with high buildings, a shorter omni is probably better than a longer one because of the broader beam divergence.