Thread: Computer issue

Default Computer issue

I've got a computer here i've been attempting to troubleshoot. Computer would boot to the XP slash screen, display an Iasse.exe error, "system could not allocate the required space in a registry log", and the computer would reboot. A quick search on Iasse.exe brought the possibility of virus activity. A search of the error message brought me to a Mircrosoft article: Error Message:.

I threw the drive into another case, and ran a scan on the disk, no major infections found. The drive was full to the brim, so I freed about a GB. Attempted to boot, no dice, computer doesn't get to slash screen before restarting. I accessed the recovery console and attempted the usual, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR. Still no luck, I cant geet into safe mode on the disk, same situation. right now I'm going to defrag and diskscan the disk, but I cant think of anything but a format.

Thoughts?
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Just to have all the details: Was the drive partitioned? If it was did you clear the 1GB out of the system partition (ala C: drive) or one of the others?
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Drive had one partition with windows XP. I cleaned off some files from this partition.

Does not get past the splashscreen?...You could set if you could reset the BIOS...might not even be the drive at all?
    QUOTE=cybrsnpr;118082]I think you have the right idea, but I also think you are really trying to kill a gnat with a small nuclear device!

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Drive had one partition with windows XP. I cleaned off some files from this partition.
    How did you remove the files? Certain methods may leave the files still there on disk - mainly when you delete from Linux GUI environments. Have you confirmed that you are able to write largish files onto the volume now?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Default ?

Based on this error message:" Error Message: "

"I threw the drive into another case, and ran a scan on the disk, no major infections found. The drive was full to the brim, so I freed about a GB. Attempted to boot, no dice, computer doesn't get to slash screen before restarting."

Just wondering, how come at this point you did not just free up more space?

Furthermore, what brand is the computer?
    The reason is that most new computers come with a recovery console not the one where you boot into when installing Windows XP,but something like this for a Dell Dimension 3000:

https://support.dell.com/support/top...restore1_task3

which gives you options like re-installing the OS to its default manufacture state via Ctrl+F11?
    Before doing this, I highly recommend your first approach-put the HD in another tower and backup all important stuff.

I could not delete more files because the user has lots of files the user wants to preserve. This computer is an Older model Dell, likely was sold from a work location, i.e When the company upgraded. I have instructed the user to purchase an external hard disk for backup.

I deleted the files through windows explorer. The drive was set as a slave, and I deleted them in windows. I haven't writen anything to the drive. I am runing defrag, the drive is ridiculously fragmented.

Well I ended up back up the users files and restoring windows. However now I have discovered that while the error was caused by an OS issue, The restarts appear to be hardware related. disabled automatic restarts and threw the original HDD into the case, and the computer blue screens. Generic 0x7b error, no solution from MS was relevant. Also during POST, it claims the system battery is low, replaced the CMOS battery, still says it.