Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no more slax -based?

Default Why no more slax -based?

Excuse me, please.

I just wanted to know, what kind of advantages / arguments brought You to the decision to drop the slackware-based kernel and to take the debian ( I think, was it the debian? yes, or?) .

THX.
    FIAT IUSTITIA ET PEREAT MUNDUS

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by me-$-on View Post
    Excuse me, please.

I just wanted to know, what kind of advantages / arguments brought You to the decision to drop the slackware-based kernel and to take the debian ( I think, was it the debian? yes, or?) .

THX.
    See Here
    Back|Track LiveCD Blog: Philosophical thoughts about BackTrack 4
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Default Thx

very much.
    FIAT IUSTITIA ET PEREAT MUNDUS

sounds conviencing.

Quote Originally Posted by orange_moon35 View Post
    sounds conviencing.
    Not that it matters. If the Dev's wanted to use RedHat that's what we'd be using.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

i like the pre release much.. it feels more friendly and programs are more easy to install..

Just burned his ISO

Default I liked slak

I think the move is all about packages. the ubuntu archive and apt get manager. I am not a fan. Slack takes more effort and knowledge to get things working but that helps people learn and it is such a stable smooth running os. I have always used slak but have had to learn red hat, gentoo, and bsd based flavors of linux for work. I blame it all on red hat
    Most linux flavors are like windows wannabe's anymore. $$
    Slackware still boots to command line by default.
    I was looking for a place to say something about the departure from slak, due to the recent head ache apt-get has given me.
    At any rate, it is still cool and I am not complaining just missing slack.
    Post #1

Angry I also miss Slack...

I have been using BT3final since its first release... I can't count how many people have been talking about Ubuntu on this site. I could not figure out why?! I was thinking to myself, "WTF! what noobs!!!, its Slax/Slackware not anything else" However I kept my mouth shut until I downloaded the pre-release if BT4 and installed it, sure enough... I almost threw up but instead let my head hang low in shame. I cant tell you how disappointed I was to find they had given into this crap. This is professional software, the whole idea of it was to make it difficult for the average person to handle it. Its make the whole thing look like a joke, and anyone can crack and hack anything they want now that it is "mainstreamed for the stupid" I've told friends about it, and when they heard it was based off of slack, they were afraid to use it ... why?? because of the Slackware name. To be perfectly honest with you I liked it like that. The amount of brain power required to use it has not changed, however it is getting a little too easy. I think if you want to run a program, you download it from source and compile it yourself. then you deal with that problem rather than blame it on BT. That would solve allot of these mediocre problems with repositories. Besides, Debian has some problems with updating their repos. and furthermore; "dependency hell" is what Slackware is all about. keep it simple, not easy.

That's my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by su_pyrow View Post
    I have been using BT3final since its first release... I can't count how many people have been talking about Ubuntu on this site. I could not figure out why?! I was thinking to myself, "WTF! what noobs!!!, its Slax/Slackware not anything else" However I kept my mouth shut until I downloaded the pre-release if BT4 and installed it, sure enough... I almost threw up but instead let my head hang low in shame. I cant tell you how disappointed I was to find they had given into this crap. This is professional software, the whole idea of it was to make it difficult for the average person to handle it. Its make the whole thing look like a joke, and anyone can crack and hack anything they want now that it is "mainstreamed for the stupid" I've told friends about it, and when they heard it was based off of slack, they were afraid to use it ... why?? because of the Slackware name. To be perfectly honest with you I liked it like that. The amount of brain power required to use it has not changed, however it is getting a little too easy. I think if you want to run a program, you download it from source and compile it yourself. then you deal with that problem rather than blame it on BT. That would solve allot of these mediocre problems with repositories. Besides, Debian has some problems with updating their repos. and furthermore; "dependency hell" is what Slackware is all about. keep it simple, not easy.

That's my two cents.

Okay, this is officially the stupidest thing I've read on this forum.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I like the way this guy thinks... everything should be difficult and inconvenient... we should take out Ubiquity and replace it with a support phone number you can call ($2 a minute of course).

I'm intrigued at how inferiority complexes can manifest themselves as superiority complexes. The only reason anyone would be against using Ubuntu is that they've so little confidence in their Linux proficiency that they think they need to use "hardcore Linux stuff" in order to have any self-esteem at all.

Ubuntu has the Linux kernel. On top of that, it has the X11 windowing system. It has GNome for a Desktop Manager. And of course, the part you're really gonna hate, it comes with loads of handy little GUI programs. Just because there's handy GUI programs, doesn't mean you can't use the commandline instead.

I, for instance, always use the commandline for doing networking stuff. However if I want to add a user or something, I might just use the GUI coz I couldn't be bothered spending 3 minutes trying to figure out how to use the commandline programs. (I've learned how to use them but I haven't got a photographic memory, I have to consult a reference each time I wanna use them again).

If you want, you can grab Ubuntu by the balls and turn off all the "automagical" stuff, turn off the network manager, turn off the automatic drive mounting. I myself turn off the network manager but I like the automatic drive mounting.

And of course, Ubuntu has some really nice stuff like Apt-get. Apt-get is better than sliced bread, it's absolutely fantastic.

Slackware, in my opinion is out-of-date, unmaintained, unconvenient to use. And of course it lacks Apt-get. If anything, I'd be asking why they ever use Slackware in the first place!
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast