Thread: BT4 Installation Question

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 Installation Question

When I get back, I plan on download the BT4 iso. When I install it, is there a way to partition space on the HD for it, or is it a removable disk. I want to install it to my HD so I can store files and programs, as well as making it easier to use instead of always having the disk in the drive.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanm View Post
    When I get back, I plan on download the BT4 iso. When I install it, is there a way to partition space on the HD for it, or is it a removable disk. I want to install it to my HD so I can store files and programs, as well as making it easier to use instead of always having the disk in the drive.
    If you are too lazy to search for this answer you are probably not going to get too far with BT as a distro.
    There are several thousand threads that contain that answer.
    Good Luck.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    If you are too lazy to search for this answer you are probably not going to get too far with BT as a distro.
    There are several thousand threads that contain that answer.
    Good Luck.
    This is absolutely right. Search the forums and Google (actually, Google indexes the BT forums, so you could probably just search Google), read the manpages (manual pages) or documentation that a lot of the tools have available either built-in or online, then, if you still can find the answer, post to the forums.

In case you've not been able to find it, I'll give you a hint... the search feature, if you're logged in, is in the bar just under the BT4 logo. This same bar has the "User CP" at one end, and "Log Out" at the other.

If you haven't already done it, I strongly suggest reading the FAQ (linked in the same bar) and the Forum Rules (stickied near the top of every single forum, from what I've looked at). The Remote Exploit/BackTrack forum members are very helpful, but there's an expectation that you will search for the answer yourself first, particularly if it's something that is likely to be a previously answered question... like those related to installing BackTrack on a hard drive.

BackTrack itself is a live distribution. If you don't know what this means, you'll want to look it up. Try LiveCD or LiveDVD if you have trouble finding an explanation of this.

If you're wanting to install BT to your hard drive, you'll want to search for the appropriate keywords. If you're wanting to have BT and Windows or another operating system on the same hard drive, look up "dual-boot installation" (probably without quotes).