Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off topic - Paypal freezes hackers for charity

Default Off topic - Paypal freezes hackers for charity

For those familiar with Johnny Long's hackers for charity group, paypal has frozen their assets. Read more about it on PayPal shuts us down*|*IHS

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Johnny Long is to blame for deciding to use PayPal in the first place.

It's been known for years now that PayPal is corrupt as f***. There's been countless websites set up giving details about PayPal has f***ed over businesses and individuals. Here's just one example:

Welcome to PayPalSucks.com, PayPal Lawsuit, PayPal Alternative, PayPal Complaints, Fraud & Evil behind the PayPal system!

I clicked on your link and it turns out he kept $10,000 in a PayPal account, sweet Jesus Christ! I had to use PayPal for doing business on eBay but I always made sure to dump the funds into my bank account as soon as I reached $100. (And I withdrew the money from my bank account very quickly in case PayPal decided to reverse the transfer).
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Wouldn't surprise me to see something in the way of "computer problems" come to paypal. They are a "shisty" (sp.) company at best.
    I have also donated to HFC before and it is a good cause, said to see this crap come about, but none the less it's not surprising.
    I did some work for some grass roots non-profits before that didn't have all the paper work straight ( and were trying to get 501c ) I will say it is not an easy process.
    Hopefully others can help out.
    Johnny Long is to blame for deciding to use PayPal in the first place.
    Not trying to start a flame war or whatever but Virchanza that is really an ignorant statement. I believe the link that is posted really explains the reasoning behind the use of paypal. The paypal system while not the best, as I stated above. There are not a lot of other fire and forget companies that can make transactions the world over especially in third world countries.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Not trying to start a flame war or whatever but Virchanza that is really an ignorant statement
    I meant it as a blunt dig, as if to say "You should have seen it coming, I don't feel sorry for you".

I think of it this way:
    If somebody runs into the middle of bushland, goes over to a sleeping lion and pulls its tail, and then the lion rips the person apart, nobody's gonna be talking about how we have a problem with lions ripping people apart, they're gonna be talking about how stupid the person was to go over and pull the lion's tail.

Really though, $10,000 in a PayPal account. C'mon I don't want to call the guy stupid, but I have to say that was a very very poor decision.

You pull a lion's tail, you get ripped apart.
    You keep $10,000 in a PayPal account, you get f***ed in the a**.

Wouldn't surprise me to see something in the way of "computer problems" come to paypal. They are a "shisty" (sp.) company at best.
    Let me be the first to say:

It wasn't me.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Really though, $10,000 in a PayPal account. C'mon I don't want to call the guy stupid, but I have to say that was a very very poor decision.
    While hindsight is always 20/20, I am quite sure we can both agree that there are places in this world that one would not want to carry or have easy access (think at home in a coffee can) to that kind of money.
    Imagine all that money being stolen, from some "wanna-be bush thug".
    I am sure this would be a bigger threat ( given the circumstances) than holding money in a paypal account. I have seen other people kill for less than that. And while I will agree that there should be something better,given the circumstances of the case itself, there probably wasn't a better choice.
    Cheers
    For the record as you stated above I didn't do it nor have any knowledge of it.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Recently noticed my paypal creditcard statement which is owned by GE and for some unbeknownst reason, they raised my interest rate from 13.99% to 28.99%. Luckily I only have about $1100 in charges on it so I'm gonna pay that off in a few weeks and kill the card.

Strange thing is my credit is great and I've never made a minimal payment to paypal so not sure wtf? But I'm glad I seen this thread and realized the bigger picture here.

Edit: Should add that I did call to complain but was told something along the line "we do periodic audits of accounts and maybe something in your credit report caused the increase". Which is BS because I have a current copy of all 3 reports and nothing has been submitted to collections or been reported late.

FF if they gave you some BS generic line you should have told them you needed a real explanation or they were going to be out yet another customer. To me "maybe xyz" is never a good enough answer for such things. If the reason wasn't announced ahead of time (a bill insert or something) or noted on your file then you should contest it, especially if it means you get gouged with additional costs in the end.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Corporate whores!! nahh I'll keep my paypal account but will cancel the creditcard. If they did send prior notification or slipped it in with some past bill then I didn't see it or trashed it in a typical rush.

I'll use another card that has treated me right since day one. The sad thing is I've had my paypal CC for about 2 years now and thought everything was fine and they loved me for not paying the minimal. Calling customer support and dealing with the security screening questions every time you get transferred is just not worth it ... Plus having to explain the situation each time is a bit annoying. True they give you a case number but I'm giving this a 2 second attention span being that I really don't need a PP card.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    Recently noticed my paypal creditcard statement which is owned by GE and for some unbeknownst reason, they raised my interest rate from 13.99% to 28.99%.
    From there faq:
    Who issues the PayPal Plus Credit Card?
    The PayPal Plus Credit Card is issued by GE Money Bank, one of the leading providers of consumer credit.
    While I didn't look too long I didn't dig up anything on the rates.
    While I feel for you on the interest rate, it might be wise to look into this with a little more detail. Either way it might affect other credit cards you may have.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Before this one dies off just wanted to update that
    Paypal is working to fix the problem for HFC.
    Read more
    PayPal makes good*|*IHS
    Thanks to theprez98 for the updated link.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast