Thread: Need help for vmware to installing backtrack 4

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Need help for vmware to installing backtrack 4

-----------------------------------------
    Last edited by eyotechnologi; 03-28-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spam

Ok, at first, where did you download the file?
    If you have downloaded it from an official source it is an iso file. Did you check the extension? Sometimes Winrar is associated with iso files.

1. If it is really a winrar file and does not contain the .iso image, no you can not just rename it or alike. Maybe you should read up on what an iso is, how it is created, what it contains.
    2.Yes you can install it just in a vmware. Maybe read up on what VM's are, how they work and what the advantages and disadvantages are.
    3. You can mayb with wine. But most likely it won't work. You have windows for that. Don't need BT.
    4. You are serious? No we won't explain it to you. No spoonfeeding here.

As from what you wrote, you seem to have very very limited experience even with Windows.
    What do you want to use BT for?
    My advice: Start to learn and read. A lot. When you are done with that, continue reading and learning. You will never reach the point where you know everything.

Oh that is if you are serious about getting into the world of security.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by eyotechnologi View Post
    4.how do i change its "kernel" (i dont know what that is but you could explain me it thnxx xD ) cuz i hear its open source so i could possibly "change" its "code"
    The excessive "quoting" in this sentence above cracks me up for some reason.

If you really want to do this ("change" the "code" in the "kernel"), then you want to learn the C programming language. Then you can get the Linux kernel source from The Linux Kernel Archives or from /usr/src/linux on most Linux systems, and play with it to your hearts content.

Oh, and you probably also want to learn what a kernel is and what it does. Maybe start with that before you do anything else.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eyotechnologi View Post
    3.how can i install "microsoft visual studio 2008 express edition" in bt 4 ( for experimenting with: visual basic.net ,C#,C++ and other languages...) ?
    That's probably not going to work very well if at all.
    There are however plenty of free and open source programing tools in most linux distros, and if not one can always download them.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

---------------------=--------------
    Last edited by eyotechnologi; 03-28-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spam

You seem to be at the very beginning of the wide world of getting better knowledge of computers.
    For now I would recommend you the following:
    - Get Ubuntu and install it. Get comfortable with it, learn your way around, learn the command line tools, learn where config files are and so on. If you want to change settings in Linux don't use any GUI tools but use the command line. Improve your googlefu while looking where the config files are.
    - Learn bash scripting at first. If you got a hang of it learn python, perl or ruby. Choose one of the languages and stick to it. Write small applications then write medium sized apps and learn how that works.
    - Learn about how networks work, the OSI model, TCP/IP and so on.

When you learned all that you should come back here and then start to use BT. If you use it before it won't really do you that much good and you will see that you get distracted by way too many "nice and shiny" apps coming with backtrack.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Second the above post.
    Summed up nicely.
    The one thing I would actually suggest would be instead of going with ubuntu, to go with something like gentoo, or even lfs.
    Reason being as you will be forced to learn how the system operates, much more so than with ubuntu.

Just my .02 cents.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.