Thread: You need to give Yakuake a try!

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default You need to give Yakuake a try!

I used to always start a terminal by clicking on a Konsole icon on my taskbar...

...until I discovered Yakuake!

In BT4, if you go to KDE Menu -> System -> Yakuake

This will start the Yakuake terminal in the background.

From now on, any time you need a terminal, hit F12. To make it go away, hit F12 again.

To make it look nicer:
    Right-click the body of the Yakuake terminal, go to Settings -> Use Konsole's Settings. The right-click again, go to Settings -> Save as Default.

I know it might seem a little excessive to start a thread about this... but I really think everybody has to give it a try, I think it's fantastic!
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Ive used tilda for a while on Ubuntu, and it does a similar thing (drops down a terminal from the top of the screen when you press a key).

Its pretty cool, however if you're like me and use multiple command windows at once, copying data between some and using others to run long running programs or to confirm a scan is still running using tcpdump then normal konsole like terminals still have their place.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Ive used tilda for a while on Ubuntu
    You should also give Guake a try!

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    You should also give Guake a try!
    Guake is for Gnome only, isn't it???

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    It is, indeed. lupin was talking about Ubuntu, not BT4. I just wanted to share my personal experience with Yakuake-like Gnome-equivalents with him.

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    I just wanted to share my personal experience with Yakuake-like Gnome-equivalents with him.
    No offense, I just wanted to get sure..........

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Its pretty cool, however if you're like me and use multiple command windows at once, copying data between some and using others to run long running programs or to confirm a scan is still running using tcpdump then normal konsole like terminals still have their place.
    Are you not happy with opening new tabs in Yakuake? I was copying 45 gigs to an external USB drive the other day, so I did the "cp" command in one tab, and then just opened up another tab beside it.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Are you not happy with opening new tabs in Yakuake? I was copying 45 gigs to an external USB drive the other day, so I did the "cp" command in one tab, and then just opened up another tab beside it.
    Sometimes I like to see multiple windows on screen at once. So if Im running a long running program in one window, or a tcpdump session that's confirming my scan is still running, I sit it over on one corner of the screen and work in a terminal in the other corner. That way I can see immediately if something changes. Just a personal preference thing really.

Oh and I also often have 5+ terminals open, and its easier to quickly switch to the particular one I want using alt-tab or the panel with konsole because it shows which directory the terminal is working in.

kuake is good for when I quickly want to run a particular command which isnt present working directory specific. Just pop the terminal down the with function key, run the command, and then pop the terminal back up again.

@or4n9e - No, hadnt heard of Guake. Are you aware of any additional features over tilda?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    I'm definitely going to this one out :-D
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]