Thread: Question about USB wifi

Just burned his ISO

Default Question about USB wifi

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to linux and backtrack but can find my way through the system. I currently have backtrack installed on a virtual machine using VMware and I need a compatable wifi card. I saw a list of USB connectors that are compatable but I am curious as to what you reccomend. Which one will cause the least hassle as far as drivers and setup go? Which are your favorites? Thanks,
    Jason

I'd say either get an alfa or atheros chipset. You might also want to read in the wireless section about wireless adapters having issues or not.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

atheros = always work "out of the Box"
    ralink = 9/10 works fine

for a list of compatible cards go to

hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless

For USB wifi NEVER NEVER get an atheros based card !!
    It will NOT work.

Quote Originally Posted by jenbo View Post
    atheros = always work "out of the Box"
    ralink = 9/10 works fine

for a list of compatible cards go to

hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless
    Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    I'd say either get an alfa or atheros chipset. You might also want to read in the wireless section about wireless adapters having issues or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dscyth3 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I saw a list of USB connectors that are compatable but I am curious as to what you reccomend. Which one will cause the least hassle as far as drivers and setup go? Which are your favorites? Thanks,
    Jason

Hello Jason, a quick search would have yielded to you the fruits of your question. On average, the most popular adapter is either the Alfa, or a card with the Atheros chipset. I have an Alfa knock off, same chipset RTL8187L, same power 500 mW [reportedly 800 mW on the 11.b side and only 200 mW on the 11.g side], and it worked without me having to do anything special... Using BT3 that is.

If I were you, I would do a google for "How to use a forums search function" and become familiar with the numerous stickies that are on each forum section before you post a topic that has 99% of the time been talked about enough that it irritates people to have to answer a post. And mind you, I am being nice about it.