Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widescreen lilo vga values

Just burned his ISO

Default Widescreen lilo vga values

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to install Backtrack 3 Final on my hard drive. The problem is, I'm using a widescreen monitor and I don't know what values to put in the lilo.conf file to accommodate this. Yes, I have googled looking for the answer and still can't find it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 333OnlyHalfEvil View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm trying to install Backtrack 3 Final on my hard drive. The problem is, I'm using a widescreen monitor and I don't know what values to put in the lilo.conf file to accommodate this. Yes, I have googled looking for the answer and still can't find it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    No your problem is that you have made 3 posts on the same subject, been given answers for it and have failed to follow the advice of those who have bothered to help you out. You should stop posting and start reading. Your total lack of effort shows that you want someone to spoon-feed you, and that you are unwilling to do the least amount of work to solve the problem.
    Not to mention you probably pissed your chances away by trying to argue with two respectable members of this community, one who happens to be an admin here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

The only help I got was to google "lilo vga value". I challenge you to google this and tell me which link has WIDESCREEN values in it.

Do you mean wide screen resolutions? Found on google:

4:3 and widescreen resolutions - List.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for the reply. No, I don't mean widescreen resolutions. I'm trying to install Backtrack 3 on my hard drive. While doing this, there is a part where you have to edit the lilo.conf file to tell the OS how to display itself (at least this is how I understand it). In the lilo.conf file there is a line that resembles vga=value where value is a 3-digit number corresponding to whatever screen resolution you are using. Problem is, when searching google I can only seem to find the fullscreen values and I'm looking for a widescreen value corresponding to a resolution of 1280x800.

The only help I got was to google "lilo vga value". I challenge you to google this and tell me which link has WIDESCREEN values in it.
    Again there is no excuse for making 3 posts on the same subject regardless of the forum you are on. There is/ are reason/s way you have not gotten better results. Thank of it this way, you are not going to go into a bank and bad talk the manager and then ask for a loan. More than likely not gonna get to far. Same applies here.
    Further more in your second thread on the issue I posted a valid link with information on how to change the values. I told you that not all values may be accepted with the lilo/x-server versions that are included with bt3.
    So as stated before. You can use a lower value to boot and then once the x server has taken over things you can use it to manipulate the resolution.
    So instead of challenging me, challenge yourself to take the advice given and do the minimal amount of work involved to achieve your goals.

BTW I will tell you using google the first post I ran into on linuxquestions.org's forum has the answer, in the first post.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

I apologize. I never saw this post. I don't know if this is the case for you but, in the newbie forum, newbie posts have to be approved by the moderator before they are displayed on the forums. I thought that the moderator only let one of the two threads I made go through because they were posted at the same time. I posted your reply here for reference. I don't have any questions about it yet because I haven't tried it yet.

You found the answer on linuxquestions??? Did you google "lilo vga value" without the quotes to find this!? When I google "lilo vga value" and click on the linuxquestions link this is what I see:
    Post1: Hey, I am using slack 10 and my lilo does not support higher resolutions. I am using a NVIDIA FX5200 videocard.
    Post2: How did you reach this conclusion? Did it give you any errors during booting where you have to choose the correct vga value?

Did you set a different vga value in /etc/lilo.conf ?

Do you have framebuffer enabled?
    Post3:If you're talking about the graphical boot menu for LILO, no, it doesn't support anything higher than 640x480x256.
    Post4: i am not sure if framebuffer is enabled.
    Post5: yes, there is an error message at boot which says that i must choose a correct vga value.. I have just installed the new video card, then the error message appeared.

By the way, thank you for the replies. I'm sorry we got off to a bad start. Like I said, I never even saw your first reply.

edit: I had to take out the quote of your reply on the other thread because I can't post URL's to other sites yet.

Just burned his ISO

When I googled for "lilo vga value 1280x800" (without quotes), the linuxquestions.org post archangel.amael is talking about was on the first page in the results.

Some advice... rudeness and name-calling isn't just between you and the person you're replying to, it can be seen by EVERYONE (even those not registered), and will frequently dissuade others who see your behavior from helping you. Yes, senior members and admins are frequently seen posting blunt replies, but I've yet to see a senior member or admin be rude or call someone an idiot without good cause.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
    When I googled for "lilo vga value 1280x800" (without quotes), the linuxquestions.org post archangel.amael is talking about was on the first page in the results.

Some advice... rudeness and name-calling isn't just between you and the person you're replying to, it can be seen by EVERYONE (even those not registered), and will frequently dissuade others who see your behavior from helping you. Yes, senior members and admins are frequently seen posting blunt replies, but I've yet to see a senior member or admin be rude or call someone an idiot without good cause.
    Thank you for your post duckseason. I've actually googled that same thing; the linuxquestions result was already clicked. I guess I went too fast or didn't look hard enough. I find it kind of strange that there aren't charts everywhere with those values and that the only place to find it is on one forum. If anyone else is having this same problem, here is the value:
    1280x800 - 872

I found that it will still display widescreen if you use a fullscreen value. When I first tried to install backtrack on my hd, i would get an error loading os. I thought it was because I had the wrong value. After not finding the answer for awhile I reinstalled and used a fullscreen value again and it worked.

It's hard to not be rude and name-call when you're given the wrong answer and then flamed when that wrong answer doesn't work for you. (I'm not talking about archangel.amael's post).

I find it kind of strange that there aren't charts everywhere with those values and that the only place to find it is on one forum.
    They are posted in several places. Most any lilo configuration document is going to have those values listed.
    I found that it will still display widescreen if you use a fullscreen value.
    Now you have learned something.
    It's hard to not be rude and name-call when you're given the wrong answer and then flamed when that wrong answer doesn't work for you. (I'm not talking about archangel.amael's post).
    Actually is rather easy to be nice and not name call. And in reality no one gave you a wrong answer and then flamed you.
    But nice to see you got it working.
    Now lets see if you can get a tutorial up on how to change those values and the associated values that can be used, within BT 4

Cheers
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast