Thread: Stuck on GRUB

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Stuck on GRUB

Alright guys so I downloaded the pre release of BT4 and got it all installed on my USB working fine. I was hanging out with my friend and showing it to him on my Acer Aspire One and he decided he wanted it on his USB so I ran the install.sh from my USB and installed it onto his, and everything seemed to be working except I forgot to change the grub to install to his USB instead of my hard drive. Now when ever I boot up my computer i get a Grub 1.5 Error 21 and I cannot fix it or boot back up into Windows. After googling for hours I finally found a way to get a recovery console onto a USB (my netbook doesn't have a cd drive) and I ran a combination of commands such as fixmbr, fixboot, and BOOTCFG /rebuild and still nothing has changed. I tried using Ubuntu and installing the MBR through that but that didn't work either, I'm still getting the Error 21 and Grub won't go away. Any help would be great because the only option I see left is to reinstall windows which is not something I want to do. Thanks a lot

Blackout24,

Look at the bright side......you are learning a lot.

Yes, grub and mbr are the stickiest part of any installation.

Introduce yourself to Acronis and take a hard drive image once a week.

8 minutes to take an image and 8 minutes to re-apply.

But heck....you wouldn't be learning as much either.

A

Just burned his ISO

Alright I got it fixed without having to reinstall windows.

fixmbr did finally do the trick but I had to edit it a little bit. It was looking for my windows in the wrong spot, I simply told it where my windows was and Bam! Its working!

I appreciate that life lesson though!

Neat.

I usually had to nuke my hdd in order to resolve a major mbr/grub issue.....thus, I now use Acronis. Now, I can test and experiment without worry.

Have fun.

A