Thread: Linksys WUSB54GC Version 3

Just burned his ISO

Default Linksys WUSB54GC Version 3

Installed BT4 pre-fianl to VMWorkstation 6.5.2
    DL apocolipse269 driver and followed tutorial.
    BT 4 fails to recognize the device
    Output of lusb and compiler...
    root@INSECURE:/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1737:0077 Linksys
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    root@INSECURE:/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse# make && make install
    make -C tools
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/tools'
    gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/tools'
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/tools/bin2h
    cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/Makefile
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.4/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.29.4'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.29.4/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/md5.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/mlme.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/rtmp_wep.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/action.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/ba_action.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/cmm_data.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/rtmp_init.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/rtmp_tkip.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/cmm_sync.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/eeprom.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/cmm_sanity.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/cmm_info.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/cmm_wpa.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../common/dfs.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/assoc.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/aironet.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/auth.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/auth_rsp.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/sync.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/sanity.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/rtmp_data.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/connect.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../sta/wpa.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_linux.o
    CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.o
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c: In function ‘RTMPReadParametersHook’:
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:778: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsuid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:779: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsgid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:780: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsuid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:780: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsgid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:1369: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsuid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:1370: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsgid’
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.29.4'
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2
    root@INSECURE:/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse#

Any help and or status of when a driver will be available will be great.

Thanks.

Just burned his ISO dark_magician's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

CC [M] /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.o
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c: In function ‘RTMPReadParametersHook’:
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:778: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsuid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:779: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsgid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:780: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsuid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:780: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsgid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:1369: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsuid’
    /tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.c:1370: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘fsgid’
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux/../../os/linux/rt_profile.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/rt2870-2.6.27-apocolipse/os/linux] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.29.4'
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

Thanks.
    I Have Linksys WUSB600n and same issue happened.. Does any one know the fixing that problem???

Just burned his ISO

just a few topics down i guess you missed my exact same thread..

forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack-4-non-working-hardware/26537-wusb54gc-v3.html

Anyway, I haven't found a fix. You cant compile the drivers under the new kernel. It will work in the bt4 beta but not the prefinal Why? I have no idea. I'm not much of a linux pro. I've been searching for a week and I haven't been able to figure it out, also asked for help too. I'm returning the card.

I think the problem lies in
    WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.29.4/Module.symvers
    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

Just burned his ISO

Just bought today the wusb54gc v3...after spending hours to find a way to make this baby work...I give up...and what is even worse is that i bought it from an e shop...do you think they will exchange it with another usb dongle?or just wait and see if linksys will come up with a linux driver?

ok called the e shop and explained what happened....i will return the wusb54gc and get a wn321g...should be here by saturday...I will post my findings and let you guys know if it actually works out of the box as its been said....

aren't those ralink 802.11n drivers already am included in the repository?

I wouldn't recommend netgear either, they mix different chipsets under one model number which renders the ineffective-ness of their lame model numbering scheme.

Just burned his ISO

so you are suggesting not to go with the tp link buy?i ve read in the forum that is it works out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by PeriEEErgos View Post
    so you are suggesting not to go with the tp link buy?i ve read in the forum that is it works out of the box
    I do not know where did you come up with yet another vendor TP-Link. The only vendors that were mentioned on this thread was either Linksys or Netgear.

Apart from that, I have little to no experience with TP-Link's versioning scheme. Vendors who fail to make their model and/or version visible on the cardboard packaging that you usually get when you buy it from the shop tend to be the ones that I find are dodgy and/or lazy.

Model + version is very important because not all vendors will re-sell chipsets from manufacturers whom chooses to support alternative platform like linux, *bsd, macs, etc. Most of them in my opinion target mainly at windows users whom doesn't need to care about which manufacturer is the chipset that's contained inside the device they have bought. They are more concerned about getting it to work.

Unfortunately non-windows users do not benefit from this because its either the vendors and/or manufacturers that choose not to support the non-windows community or to provide them with limited support. There are workarounds such as the use of ndiswrapper/linuxant which should work in a fair amount of cases along with at times manufacturers that also produce their own proprietary driver. These drivers not always have the same functionality as the community built drivers for the manufacturer chipsets, mainly features like rfmon and injection are missing because its either not coded into the driver or because for whatever other reason there are no support on such modes.

By vendors I mean brands like: Netgear, Trendnet, Linksys, D-Link, TP-Link, Ubiquiti, Alfa, Senao, Belkin, Edimax, Hawking, etc. These vendors do not actually manufacture the chipset which is inside the device they made it in but its more of re-packaging and including brand names, tags, etc.

By manufacturers (specifically in wireless case) I mean like: Atheros, Ralink, Intel, Zydas, Intersil, Conexant, Atmel, TI, SiS, Broadcom, etc. These companies actually make the chipset that sits inside the devices of which vendors sells it in. Hardly the manufacturers themselves manufacture both chipset and the card together (Intel for example does that). Even if they do, chances are it will only be a reference board for vendors.

In other words, the brand names you see in the shops does not always carry their own branded chipset inside and this is where it stuffs up many non-windows users.

Brands like, Belkin (I've heard) and Netgear by far are the worst vendors when it comes to their model and revisions. Netgear mixes different manufacturer chipsets into the same model and revision, twice I have seen them doing it. Google for WG511 and WG111.

Then comes to brands like, Linksys, 3com and Trendnet where the versions of that specific device is actually on the device itself not on the packaging box which makes one needing to open the box (thus making it hard to get a refund/exchange in a fair few cases) just to find which version it has.

D-Link I would personally recommend. Apart from wireless cards and dongles, D-Link seems to suck at every other device versioning but with wireless cards and dongles they made it clear which hardware version and firmware version on the packaging box itself. If you check madwifi-project.org - Trac under Compatibility/D-Link section you will see what I mean when it comes to those versioning. This is probably the most ideal scenario where you won't need to open the packaging box or plug and pray.

Back to the point, I bought a pair of TP-Link wired cards. The packaging box shows a picture of two wired cards with different chipset and layout. One was Realtek chipset and the other one was Marvell. It has two different model numbers as well as a checkbox but there's no clear indication of which card has which model number on the box in that instance which made me having to buy it before I can open and check which chipset it has. This is only one off instance but may serve as a precaution

Walmart has in their stores right now a Belkin F5D7050 for $30 that you can definitely inject with.

BUT - MAKE SURE it is ver. 3125.

The range is some what decent but, you'll be able to inject with it and, you can tweak its power settings with the RT73 drivers.