Thread: help,BT3 & new dell laptop,startx fails,Screen found, but none have a usable config?

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy help,BT3 & new dell laptop,startx fails,Screen found, but none have a usable config?

Excuse me for being a linux newb but im trying. Took me a ton of reading and forever to finally get my usb drive formatted correctly and have BT3 work on it after overcoming a bunch of errors running the install boot batch file. Im trying to use BT3 from a usb drive on a new(ish) dell laptop, about 5 months old. Its one of the small mini's I think but not the mini 9. I think its probably the mini 12. Im using a usb drive instead of the bootable cd because this dell laptop does NOT have a cd/dvd drive.

After BT3 loads, it asks me to login with login: root pass: toor, then says type "startx". Well after typing "startx"., I get this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When I type "startx" it just goes threw and fails, at the end saying:

(=) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (II) Module Already Built-In
    (EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    giving up.
    xinit: connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: no such process (errno 3): Server error.
    bt ~ #
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then I tried typing "xconf" then when thats done, typing "startx" again, but same error. Also not sure if this matters but during all of this in the console and with the bt3 background, the resolution and gui looks great, not sure why it cant find screens.

Is there something in that file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" I need to change? And if so can I edit that file in notepad on windows or is it necessary to use that "nano" command I read somewhere? dont ask me where.

I extremely appreciate anyone that can offer any help, seriously, thanks!!!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elistian View Post
    Excuse me for being a linux newb but im trying.
    Much like your other thread.
    I extremely appreciate anyone that can offer any help, seriously, thanks!!!
    Here are a few options, one try and easier distro, two upgrade to bt4, three search a little harder and longer than two minutes. You question has been asked numerous times and as such there are thousands of answers for it.
    Don't tell me that you searched and didn't find anything.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

To anyone that finds this thread in the future by searching, heres what worked for me..

First try this. At the console, type "xorgconfig", then just keep hitting enter a few times to go threw which will select the default options. After its completed, try "startx" again.

That didnt work for me, but it was suggested. If that didnt work, heres what worked on mine. At the console, just type "fixvesa". After its done, try "startx" again. It should work, or it at least did on mine....