Thread: Ideas on Senior Project

com520

Post Ideas on Senior Project

Hello to who ever is reading this, first of all thanks for taking your time in reading this thread. Background: I'm a student at the Univ of UHD majoring in CS. I need to do either a senior project or take a W course. The W course is just taking any senior class and writing maybe 15 page papers. It depends on the teacher. Well, senior project is just giving a presentation on power point and making a project of your own topic. Can be anything ex. website, server, simple game, coding hard algorithms, decryption etc..
    Well, i was thinking of Wireless Network decryption or network security. I don't know yet. don't have a specific title this just popped into my head. I found out about backtrack 3 or 4 just a couple of months ago. Been using my own router for educational purposes. Now, i don't know if this is a good idea. I would appreciate any opinions on this idea and any topics. thanks for your time..sry for any mispellings or any abbrev..

Quote Originally Posted by com520 View Post
    Well, i was thinking of Wireless Network decryption or network security. I don't know yet. don't have a specific title this just popped into my head. I found out about backtrack 3 or 4 just a couple of months ago. Been using my own router for educational purposes. Now, i don't know if this is a good idea. I would appreciate any opinions on this idea and any topics. thanks for your time..sry for any mispellings or any abbrev..
    Thats probably a fine idea as long as you don't do anything illegal as part of your research or your presentation (e.g. make sure all of the systems you are working on are owned and operated by you).

Try and pick something you're interested in, the presentation will likely turn out better that way.

If you want a topic that will impress, try a paper on buffer overflows, and maybe show how a simple stack based overflow can be done. You could write a simple vulnerable program in c (examples are on the net), exploit it, then do the same for some program in common use with a vulnerability (search vulnerability databases or exploits databases) . Take an existing exploit and rewrite it if you haven't done this before.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

A bloke near me just finished a paper for his senior year entitled Wireless Security and the effect of education.

Basically he audited most of the suburbs in this city, correlated the open/wep/wpa status of the network against the quality of living (i.e. rich suburb, poor suburb etc.) and produced some pretty maps and data.

Then he went and grabbed the auth keys for as many of the WPA networks he could and tested those against some pre-genned files.

The result:

Rich == Stupid (Open/WEP Concentration: 89%)
    Poor == Smart (WPA Concentration: 75%, Simple passwords 98%)
    Poorest == Smartest (WPA Concentration: 93%, Non simple passwords: 75%)

He correlated that back to snobbishness, more than education though they may go hand in hand - basically: he who can stealeth cheap internet is probably not sitting around with a harvard degree and a mansion. Whether he is right or not, I've been getting chuckles out of it for a few weeks.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Developer

I'm just wondering who writes a senior paper in the middle of the summer.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I'm just wondering who writes a senior paper in the middle of the summer.
    I know of at least two tertiary students in NZ and AU who are finishing up their courses next month, for them they are just getting out of winter.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Imho writing a paper on a topic being widely discussed is lame.

I mean Wireless Security is a topic covered by so many papers/videos/tutorials, it is no challenge at all.
    At least go with some mitm or alike. Not that much more challenging but not the same old wlan security.

Just my 2 (euro)cents.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

com520

I want to thanks whoever posted something on this thread that is related to the topic of this thread. Now for those who are just dropping by and dropping comments. ex. Whose taking a senior class on SUMMER..? Well, there are many university that do this. other people can agree to this. Please don't make me read S***** comments.

Now i want to get involved in this thread. i posted it. writing a complex algorithm in C++ can be another idea. i only know C++, a little of C. Also a Assembly algorithm would be interesting. I don't know i will appreciate any comments. But i do want to stick to a networking topic involving wireless security.

Developer

I want to thanks whoever posted something on this thread that is related to the topic of this thread. Now for those who are just dropping by and dropping comments. ex. Whose taking a senior class on SUMMER..? Well, there are many university that do this. other people can agree to this. Please don't make me read S***** comments.

Now i want to get involved in this thread. i posted it. writing a complex algorithm in C++ can be another idea. i only know C++, a little of C. Also a Assembly algorithm would be interesting. I don't know i will appreciate any comments. But i do want to stick to a networking topic involving wireless security.
    Heres a S***** comment for ya: We are not here to do your F***king homework. If you cant think of a idea for a senior paper then you shouldnt be a senior.

I know of at least two tertiary students in NZ and AU who are finishing up their courses next month, for them they are just getting out of winter.
    He clearly said in the first post he was at Univ of UHD which is in US.

Now for those who are just dropping by and dropping comments. ex. Whose taking a senior class on SUMMER..? Well, there are many university that do this. other people can agree to this. Please don't make me read S***** comments.
    Bit of an overreaction to these comments don't you think?

We were all being pretty tolerant about the "homework question" you were asking, you should try and extend the same tolerance to others here as well. Plus, if you only want responses that adhere exactly to your requirements, an Internet forum is the wrong place to ask. Comments, unrelated observations and off topic witticisms are to be expected, and if you complain about it you can expect to get flamed.

And insulting a moderator? Not a great idea....
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Sorry but I will not take an admin or any other member of the forum being spoken to like that.